Hunts Disposal Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-7341 or 800-621-8431, ext. 67341
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Tom Wentland (email@example.com)
(where to view written records)
Caledonia Village Hall
6922 Nicholson Rd.
The 35-acre Hunts Disposal Landfill, near County Line and Foley Roads, Caledonia, is an abandoned sand and gravel pit. It operated as an open dump from 1959 to 1974 reportedly accepting a variety of municipal, industrial and construction wastes. About 40 homes are located within a one-half mile radius of the landfill with another 150 homes to the west of the site in this rural area of southeastern Wisconsin. Ground water currently used as drinking water has not been affected by contamination from Hunts.
The cleanup was completed in 1997. It included perimeter fencing; a multilayer landfill cap; an underground barrier (slurry wall) around the landfill; a ground water pump and treat system; ground water monitoring wells; and a landfill gas management system.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the landfill's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2016. The third five-year review (PDF) (141pp, 10MB) details the site's progress.
- Superfund Fact Sheet, Hunts Disposal Landfill Site, Caledonia, Wisconsin, October 1988 (PDF) (6 pp, 373 KB)
- Hunts Disposal Landfill Site, Remedial Investigation Update, November 1989 (PDF) (3 pp, 163.56 KB)
- Feasibility Study (PDF) (252 pp, 7.8MB) - 1990
- Final Remedial Investigation Report, Vol 1 (PDF) (355 pp, 14.5MB) - 1990
- Final Remedial Investigation Report, Vol 2 (PDF) (173 pp, 4.9MB) - 1990
- Proposed Plan, Hunts Disposal (PDF) (15pp, 832K) - 1990
- Consent Decree (PDF) (16 2pp, 7MB) 1992
- Third five-year review (PDF) (141pp, 10MB) September 2011
- Second five-year review (PDF) (42 pp, 4.2MB) September 2006
- First five-year review (PDF) (12 pp, 105K) September 2001