Jacobsville Neighborhood Soil Contamination Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-4785 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64785
(where to view written documents)
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library - Central Branch
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
The Jacobsville neighborhood is in Evansville, Indiana. The Jacobsville Superfund site includes the Jacobsville neighborhood as well as 12 other neighborhoods in Evansville and covers a 4.5 square mile area. The area includes residential, commercial, and industrial properties, but the Superfund cleanup will address residential properties only. Part of the Jacobsville neighborhood was formerly occupied by several manufacturing companies that date back to the 1880s. Lead has contaminated a wide area of soil. Some soil is also contaminated with arsenic. The site was added to the National Priority List (NPL) on 07/22/2004. The first phase of the cleanup began in 2007, and subsequent cleanup phases have taken place in 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012. Completion of the estimated 4,000 residential properties that will require cleanup is expected to take five to ten more years.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA contractors were in Evansville in March to collect soil samples from the yards of more than 230 homes. Cleanup work is expected to begin in July or August and to continue through November or December. EPA held a public meeting in June and plans to have another meeting or open house as we get closer to the start of work.
Superfund Program Implements the Recovery Act - Jacobsville Neighborhood Soil Contamination Evansville, Indiana
- Phase one completion ceremony announcement (PDF) (1pp, 523K) October 2010
- EPA begins Recovery Act-funded cleanup at Evansville Superfund site April 6, 2010
- Media Advisory: Briefing on Recovery Act-funded Evansville Superfund site April 6, 12:30 p.m. April 5, 2010
- EPA hosts meetings on Evansville Superfund cleanup Feb. 4, 2 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. January 26 2010
- EPA expands scope of lead cleanup at Evansville SUPERFUND Site; Hearings June 23 and 24 June 10 2009
- Corrected News Release: Recovery Act funding to accelerate cleanup, boost economy, create jobs and protect human health at Evansville hazardous waste site Apr. 16, 2009
- EPA selects cleanup plan for Evansville, Ind., Superfund site Feb. 26, 2008
- Media Advisory: EPA, IDEM to brief on Evansville, Ind., Superfund site, Feb. 26, 10 am Feb. 25, 2008
- Sampling at Evansville soil contamination site expands to new areas, April. 5, 2005
- Jacobsville Neighborhood Lead Contamination Superfund Site Newsletter (PDF) (8pp, 1.35MB) June 2013
- Jacobsville Neighborhood Lead Contamination Superfund Site Newsletter (PDF) (5pp 2.75MB) December 2011
- Jacobsville Neighborhood Lead Contamination Superfund Site Newsletter (PDF) (8pp 2.44MB) May 2011
- ATSDR Arsenic fact sheet
- ATSDR Lead fact sheet
- EPA Common Questions About Lead (PDF) (1pp, 40K)
- Vanderburgh County Health Department Lead Info Sheet (PDF) (1pp, 50K)
- Vanderburgh County Health Department Gardening in Lead Fact Sheet (PDF) (1pp, 59K)
- Vanderburgh County Health Department Lead Fact Sheet (PDF) (2pp, 87K)
- EPA Expands Lead Cleanup Area (PDF) (8pp, 729K) June 2009
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Lead Site (PDF) (8pp, 686K) January 2007
- Community interviews conducted on lead site (PDF) (6pp, 336K) September 2005
- Record of Decision (PDF) (111pp, 7.7MB) September 2009
- Record of Decision (PDF) (96pp, 4.7MB) February 2008
- Short Term Cleanup 2007-2008 (PDF) (1pg, 34" x 22", 312K) February 2008 map showing Phase 1 cleaned and examined parcels
- Aerial view of Jacobsville site showing OU1 area and expanded OU2 area (PDF) (1 pg, 682K) June 2009. June 2009 map showing boundaries of original cleanup area (operable unit 1 [OU1]) and expanded cleanup area (OU2).
- OU1 and OU2 with neighborhood boundaries (PDF) (1pg, 538K) June 2009. OU1 and OU2 of Jacobsville site with neighborhood association boundaries shown.
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (19pp, 286K) August 2005
- EPA will held two public meetings on March 21, 2012.
- EPA held two public meetings on Feb. 4, 2010, about the proposed cleanup plan for OU2.
- EPA gave a presentation at the annual meeting of the Jacobsville Area Community Corporation (JACC) on Nov. 17, 2009.
- EPA held public meetings in January and February 2007 about the proposed cleanup plan for OU1.