Janesville Disposal Facilities
- Janesville, WI (Rock County)
- EPA ID#
Janesville Ash Beds - WID000712950
Janesville Old Landfill - WID980614044
- Janesville Ash Beds site narrative listing
- Janesville Old Landfill site narrative listing
- Janesville Ash Beds NPL Fact sheet
- Janesville Old Landfill NPL Fact sheet
- Janesville Ash Beds Superfund Site Progress Profile
- Janesville Old Landfill Superfund Site Progress Profile
- Alias(es): Janesville Ash Beds and Janesville Old Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-353-5577 or 800-621-8431, ext. 35577
(where to view written records)
Hedberg Public Library, 316 S. Main St., Janesville, WI
The Janeville Disposal Facilities are located on a 65-acre parcel of land on Black Bridge Road in Rock County, Wisconsin.
The Janesville Ash Beds site comprises five ash beds in an area about 400 feet by 400 feet. Industrial liquids and sludges were deposited in this area and allowed to evaporate. Dried sludge was then disposed in two adjacent landfills: the "Old Landfill," another Superfund site, and the "New Landfill." Both are now closed.
The Ash Beds operated from 1974 to 1985. The primary contaminants in the ground water were volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as tetrachloroethene, trichloroethene, and vinyl chloride. The area surrounding the ash beds is industrial property and vacant land. There are no private residential wells or municipal supply wells in the line of the ground water plume between the facility and the Rock River, the ground water discharge point. However, there are about 12 homes within one-half mile to the northwest of the site.
The 18-acre Janesville Old Landfill operated from 1963 to 1978. A residential neighborhood is located about one-quarter mile to the east. The Old Landfill site is an abandoned sand and gravel pit that was used as a municipal sanitary landfill which also accepted drummed waste, including solvents, oil, paint, and paint thinners. The landfill also accepted dried sludge from the Janesville Ash Beds. There are no private residential wells or municipal supply wells in the line of the ground water plume between the landfill and the primary ground water discharge point, the Rock River, which is 1,500 feet to the west.
The cleanup, which was completed in 1997, included a landfill cover, gas collection system, and ground water treatment system.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has completed a status review of the landfill's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- Janesville Ash Beds Explanation of Significant Differences, September 1997 (PDF) (7pp, 20KB) September 1997
- Janesville Disposal Facilities Feasibility Study (PDF) (2543pp, 11M) March 1990 too large, please visit repository or contact Susan Pastor for a CD containing the document.
- Janesville Old Landfill Record of Decision, December 1989 (PDF) (48pp, 96KB) December 1989
- Janesville Ash Beds Record of Decision, December 1989 (PDF) (48pp, 96KB) December 1989
- Janesville Disposal Facilities Remedial Investigation Report Vol 1 (PDF) (298pp, 16M) July 1989 too large, please visit repository or contact Susan Pastor for a CD containing the document.
- Janesville Disposal Facilities Remedial Investigation Report Vol 2 (PDF) (455pp, 22M) July 1989 too large, please visit repository or contact Susan Pastor for a CD containing the document.
- Janesville Disposal Facilities Remedial Investigation Report Vol 3 (PDF) (463pp, 14M) July 1989 too large, please visit repository or contact Susan Pastor for a CD containing the document.
- Consent Decree (PDF) (141pp, 4.28M) August 1991
- Administrative Order of Consent (PDF) (821pp, 2.6M) September 1986
- Third five-year review (PDF) (64pp, 6.6M) August 2011
- Second five-year review (PDF) (47pp, 1.4M) September 2006
- First five-year review (PDF) (7pp, 436K) September 2001