Kerr-McGee Superfund Sites
Site Information: Kerr-McGee Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River Site
Site Information: Kerr-McGee Sewage Treatment Plant Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (email@example.com)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
Remedial Project Manager
David Seely (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-7058 or 800-621-8431, ext. 67058
312- 886-5787 or 800-621-8431, ext. 65787
Office of Regional Counsel
Mary Fulghum, Attorney
312-886-4683 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64683
(where to view written records)
Warrenville Public Library
28W751 Stafford Place
(NOTE: This location is a repository only for information related to the Kress Creek and Sewage Treatment Plant Sites)
West Chicago Public Library
118 W. Washington St.
West Chicago, IL
(Note: This location is a repository for information on all four Superfund sites.)
EPA Records Center
77 W. Jackson Blvd.
- Kerr-McGee Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River Site
- Kerr-McGee Sewage Treatment Plant Site
- Kerr-McGee Residential Areas Superfund Site
- Kerr-McGee Reed-Keppler Park Superfund Site
There are four Kerr-McGee Superfund sites in the West Chicago, IL, area that were contaminated by radioactive thorium waste material. The waste was generated by a processing facility (now closed and owned by the Kerr-McGee Chemical Corporation) that operated in West Chicago between 1932 and 1973.
Sand-like waste materials known as mill tailings were stored at the facility. The mill tailings were available as free fill material from the 1930s through the 1950s and were used throughout the West Chicago area for landscaping projects and to fill low-lying areas. It was later determined that the radioactive material was potentially hazardous.
Wastes from the Kerr-McGee facility also entered Kress Creek through a storm sewer, contaminating sediments (river mud) in the creek and the West Branch DuPage River. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Kerr McGee Site (Kress Creek/West Branch of DuPage River)
The cleanup work at the Kress Creek site was conducted by Kerr-McGee, Tronox and the West Chicago Environmental Response Trust, along with their contractors, under the oversight of EPA, the State of Illinois, and the local communities. After the bankruptcy settlement, the cleanup of Reach 8A was initiated in July 2011 and was completed in early November 2011. The Bower Elementary School area in Reach 8A, Reach 8B and the Route 59 overpass over Kress Creek, the last of the KC/WBDR areas requiring cleanup, were all completed in the summer and fall of 2012. Maintenance and Monitoring of site restoration will continue for three more years, and then the Kress Creek site will be eligible for deletion from the NPL in 2016, provided that DOE Title X funding is received by the West Chicago trust.
Kerr McGee Site (Sewage Treatment Plant)
In January 2009, Tronox (formerly Kerr-McGee) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. As a result of the bankruptcy settlement, a Trust was set up to complete the cleanup and monitoring for the four West Chicago Kerr-McGee Superfund sites. The Trust has been conducting maintenance and monitoring activities for the STP site since February 14, 2011. On August 11, 2011, a final Certification of Completion inspection was conducted to determine whether the STP site was complete and the maintenance and monitoring requirements had been successfully achieved. A punchlist of final items to be completed was generated, and these actions were accomplished in the spring of 2012. A Certification of Completion was then issued by EPA in September 2012, and a Final Closeout Report was completed for the site. On February 20, 2013 EPA published its Notice of Intent to Delete the Kerr-McGee Sewage Treatment Plant from the NPL. That deletion became final on April 21, 2013.
Kerr McGee Site (Reed-Keppler Park)
As of February 2010, the Kerr-McGee Reed-Keppler Park site was delisted from the National Priorities List. As specified in the September 2002 ROD, U.S. EPA was required to conduct a five-year review of conditions at the site to determine if the remedy selected in the ROD continued to be protective. A five-year review report was completed on August 13, 2007, and it is available in the site information repository. Now that the site has been cleaned up to the point where there are no residual contaminants remaining onsite that would prevent unrestricted use of the property, no more five-year reviews will be required for the Reed-Keppler Park site.
- Cleanup Schedule Announced for Contaminated River and Creek (PDF) (5pp, 314K) August 2005
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Radioactive Contamination (PDF) (13pp, 425K) May 2004
- Preliminary Close Out Report Kerr-McGee Kress CreeklWest Branch DuPage River, West Chicago and Warrenville, DuPage County, Illinois (PDF) (20pp, 2.04MB) November 2012
- Update to the 1994 Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (27pp, 300K) February 2009
- Plan de Participacion Comunitaria de 1994 (PDF) (29pp, 311K) Febrero 2009
- Ecological Risk Assessment (PDF) (120pp. 2.2MB) May 2004
- Human Health Risk Assessment (PDF) (171pp, 1.8MB) May 2004
- Feasibility Study Report
(PDF) (83pp, 590K) May 2004
- Figures from report (PDF) (5pp ranging in size from 8.5" x 11" to 22" x 34", 4.7MB) May 2004
- Kerr-McGee Reed-Keppler Park Five-year review (PDF) (39pp, 1.4MB) August 2007
- West Chicago Intergovernmental Forum meeting scheduled for Friday, Nov 16, 2012 at 10am at West Chicago City Counciol Chambers Agenda (PDF) (1pp, 47K) November 2012
- Public Meeting scheduled for April 26, 2011 (PDF) - (1pp, 529K) April 2011
- June 2008 Community Involvement interviews - EPA representatives were in the West Chicago area June 25-26, 2008 to interview people about the Kerr-McGee Residential Areas and Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River Superfund sites.
- Public Information Meeting, Tuesday March 25, 2008, about the ongoing cleanup of the Kress Creek Superfund site.
- Public meeting September 11, 2007 in Warrenville, IL. EPA presented information about the cleanup of Reaches 5E and 6 of the West Branch DuPage River.
- Information Session on Reach 1 Cleanup, Wednesday, August 10, in West Chicago, IL.
- EPA held a public meeting on the proposed cleanup plan June 2, 2004.
West Chicago Intergovernmental Forum meeting minutes
- Forum minutes from August 17, 2012 (PDF) (4pp, 2.44MB)
- Forum minutes from February 3, 2012 (PDF) (4pp, 1.91MB)
- December 2011 meeting minutes (PDF) (4pp, 142K)
- Meeting Minutes September 2011 (PDF) (6pp, 303K)
- Meeting Minutes July 2011 (PDF) (4pp, 1MB)
- Meeting Minutes May 2011 (PDF) (4pp, 354K)
- Meeting Minutes March 2011 (PDF) (4pp, 2.91MB)
- Meeting Minutes November 2010 (PDF) (4pp, 2.6MB)
- Meeting Minutes October 2010 (PDF) (5pp, 1.71MB)
- Meeting Minutes August 2010 (PDF) (4pp, 1.8MB)
- Meeting Minutes July 2010 (PDF) (4pp, 2.6MB)
- Meeting Minutes June 2010 (PDF) (3pp, 174K)
- Meeting Minutes May 2010 (PDF) (3pp, 1.7MB)
- Meeting Minutes April 2010 (PDF) (1pp, 59K)
- Meeting Minutes March 2010 (PDF) (7pp, 1.5MB)
- Meeting Minutes February 2010 (PDF) (7pp, 3.5MB)
- Meeting Minutes December 2009 (PDF) (10pp, 384K)
- Meeting Minutes October 2009 (PDF) (8pp, 385K)
- Meeting Minutes June 2009 (PDF) (6pp, 24K)
- Meeting Minutes April 2009 (PDF) (6pp, 274K)
- Meeting Minutes February 2009 (PDF) (5pp, 2.6MB)
- Meeting Minutes December 2008 (PDF) (4pp, 177K)
- Meeting Minutes October 2008 (PDF) (6pp, 2.7MB)
- Meeting Minutes July 2008 (PDF) (9pp, 52K)
- Meeting Minutes May 2008 (PDF) (9pp, 163K)
- Meeting Minutes March 2008 (PDF) (7pp, 114K)
- Meeting Minutes December 2007 (PDF) (9pp, 147K)
- Meeting Minutes October 2007 (PDF) (8pp, 146K)
- Meeting Minutes July 2007 (PDF) (5pp, 121K)
- Meeting Minutes May 2007 (PDF) (7pp, 126K)