Kerr-McGee Superfund Sites
Site Information: Kerr-McGee Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River Site
Site Information: Kerr-McGee Sewage Treatment Plant Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Janet Pope (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-0628 or 800-621-8431, ext.30628
Remedial Project Manager
David Seely (email@example.com)
312-886-7058 or 800-621-8431, ext. 67058
312- 886-5787 or 800-621-8431, ext. 65787
Office of Regional Counsel
Mary Fulghum, Attorney
312-886-4683 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64683
(where to view written records)
Warrenville Public Library
28W751 Stafford Place
(NOTE: This location is a repository only for information related to the Kress Creek and Sewage Treatment Plant Sites)
West Chicago Public Library
118 W. Washington St.
West Chicago, IL
(Note: This location is a repository for information on all four Superfund sites.)
EPA Records Center
77 W. Jackson Blvd.
- Kerr-McGee Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River Site
- Kerr-McGee Sewage Treatment Plant Site
- Kerr-McGee Residential Areas Superfund Site
- Kerr-McGee Reed-Keppler Park Superfund Site
There are four Kerr-McGee Superfund sites in the West Chicago, IL, area that were contaminated by radioactive thorium waste material. The waste was generated by a processing facility (now closed and owned by the Kerr-McGee Chemical Corporation) that operated in West Chicago between 1932 and 1973.
Sand-like waste materials known as mill tailings were stored at the facility. The mill tailings were available as free fill material from the 1930s through the 1950s and were used throughout the West Chicago area for landscaping projects and to fill low-lying areas. It was later determined that the radioactive material was potentially hazardous.
Wastes from the Kerr-McGee facility also entered Kress Creek through a storm sewer, contaminating sediments (river mud) in the creek and the West Branch DuPage River. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Latest Update: April 2012
Ongoing cleanup of the Kress Creek Superfund site. Cleanup work will continue in the following sections or "reaches" of the West Branch DuPage River during the new construction season: Reach 5E (from River Oaks subdivision to Williams Road) Reach 6 (from Williams Road to Butterfield Road). Clean up will begin April 30, 2012.
Open House about the
Kerr-McGee Kress Creek/
West Branch DuPage River Site Cleanup
DuPage County, Illinois
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Warrenville City Hall
28W701 Stafford Place
Representatives from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will be available to share information and answer questions about the ongoing cleanup of the Kress Creek Superfund site. More information about the site is available at www.epa.gov/region5/cleanup/kerrmcgee. The open house will include a short presentation at 6:30 p.m.
followed by a question-and-answer period. Residents will also have the opportunity to talk with the EPA and local representatives in an informal, one-on-one setting.
- Cleanup Schedule Announced for Contaminated River and Creek (PDF) (5pp, 314K) August 2005
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Radioactive Contamination (PDF) (13pp, 425K) May 2004
- Preliminary Close Out Report Kerr-McGee Kress CreeklWest Branch DuPage River, West Chicago and Warrenville, DuPage County, Illinois (PDF) (20pp, 2.04MB) November 2012
- Update to the 1994 Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (27pp, 300K) February 2009
- Plan de Participacion Comunitaria de 1994 (PDF) (29pp, 311K) Febrero 2009
- Ecological Risk Assessment (PDF) (120pp. 2.2MB) May 2004
- Human Health Risk Assessment (PDF) (171pp, 1.8MB) May 2004
- Feasibility Study Report
(PDF) (83pp, 590K) May 2004
- Figures from report (PDF) (5pp ranging in size from 8.5" x 11" to 22" x 34", 4.7MB) May 2004
- Kerr-McGee Reed-Keppler Park Five-year review (PDF) (39pp, 1.4MB) August 2007
- West Chicago Intergovernmental Forum meeting scheduled for Friday, Nov 16, 2012 at 10am at West Chicago City Counciol Chambers Agenda (PDF) (1pp, 47K) November 2012
- Public Meeting scheduled for April 26, 2011 (PDF) - (1pp, 529K) April 2011
- June 2008 Community Involvement interviews - EPA representatives were in the West Chicago area June 25-26, 2008 to interview people about the Kerr-McGee Residential Areas and Kress Creek/West Branch DuPage River Superfund sites.
- Public Information Meeting, Tuesday March 25, 2008, about the ongoing cleanup of the Kress Creek Superfund site.
- Public meeting September 11, 2007 in Warrenville, IL. EPA presented information about the cleanup of Reaches 5E and 6 of the West Branch DuPage River.
- Information Session on Reach 1 Cleanup, Wednesday, August 10, in West Chicago, IL.
- EPA held a public meeting on the proposed cleanup plan June 2, 2004.
West Chicago Intergovernmental Forum meeting minutes
- Forum minutes from August 17, 2012 (PDF) (4pp, 2.44MB)
- Forum minutes from February 3, 2012 (PDF) (4pp, 1.91MB)
- December 2011 meeting minutes (PDF) (4pp, 142K)
- Meeting Minutes September 2011 (PDF) (6pp, 303K)
- Meeting Minutes July 2011 (PDF) (4pp, 1MB)
- Meeting Minutes May 2011 (PDF) (4pp, 354K)
- Meeting Minutes March 2011 (PDF) (4pp, 2.91MB)
- Meeting Minutes November 2010 (PDF) (4pp, 2.6MB)
- Meeting Minutes October 2010 (PDF) (5pp, 1.71MB)
- Meeting Minutes August 2010 (PDF) (4pp, 1.8MB)
- Meeting Minutes July 2010 (PDF) (4pp, 2.6MB)
- Meeting Minutes June 2010 (PDF) (3pp, 174K)
- Meeting Minutes May 2010 (PDF) (3pp, 1.7MB)
- Meeting Minutes April 2010 (PDF) (1pp, 59K)
- Meeting Minutes March 2010 (PDF) (7pp, 1.5MB)
- Meeting Minutes February 2010 (PDF) (7pp, 3.5MB)
- Meeting Minutes December 2009 (PDF) (10pp, 384K)
- Meeting Minutes October 2009 (PDF) (8pp, 385K)
- Meeting Minutes June 2009 (PDF) (6pp, 24K)
- Meeting Minutes April 2009 (PDF) (6pp, 274K)
- Meeting Minutes February 2009 (PDF) (5pp, 2.6MB)
- Meeting Minutes December 2008 (PDF) (4pp, 177K)
- Meeting Minutes October 2008 (PDF) (6pp, 2.7MB)
- Meeting Minutes July 2008 (PDF) (9pp, 52K)
- Meeting Minutes May 2008 (PDF) (9pp, 163K)
- Meeting Minutes March 2008 (PDF) (7pp, 114K)
- Meeting Minutes December 2007 (PDF) (9pp, 147K)
- Meeting Minutes October 2007 (PDF) (8pp, 146K)
- Meeting Minutes July 2007 (PDF) (5pp, 121K)
- Meeting Minutes May 2007 (PDF) (7pp, 126K)