The Lammers Barrel Factory site is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of Grange-Hall and East Patterson Roads, in Beavercreek, Greene County, Ohio. The company operated as a chemical recycling facility from 1953 until 1969. During its operation, the facility maintained above-ground storage capacity of over 500,000 gallons as well as a number of vertical tanks, several transport trucks and semitrailers, and approximately 6000 55-gallon drums. The site is located on a two-acre parcel of land, and is divided into north and south portions by Little Beaver Creek.
The facility burned to the ground in September, 1969. As a result of the fire, chemicals migrated into the soil and ground water. On-site soil is now contaminated with organic chemicals and metals, and is considered by U.S. EPA to be the source of the ground water contamination.
Contamination in some private residential wells was first discovered in the mid-1980s. In 1985, U.S. EPA, as an emergency measure, extended county water service to nine residences along East Patterson Road with wells containing vinyl chloride, a known cancer-causing chemical. Through additional investigations, (see Site Updates) U.S. EPA and Ohio EPA learned that ground water contamination extends from the site outward to the east, south, and southeast and impacts an area along the northern end of the Woodhaven subdivision. EPA extended water lines to three additional homes in 2000.
In 2002, EPA proposed the Lammers Barrel Factory site to the National Priorities List of Superfund hazardous waste sites, a roster of sites eligible for investigation and cleanup under the Superfund program (see the Federal Register notice).
In addition, EPA and private parties signed an administrative order for the parties to conduct a more extensive investigation of soils, ground water and sediment. That investigation began in 2003 and is ongoing.