Laskin/Poplar Oil. Co.
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6312 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66312
(where to view written records)
Henderson Memorial Public Library
54 E. Jefferson St.
Ashtabula Public Library
355 W. 44th St.
The 9-acre Laskin/Poplar Oil Co. site is located southwest of the intersection of Ohio Route 307 and Poplar Street in northeastern Ohio's Ashtabula County. It is immediately south of Cemetery Creek. It started out as a greenhouse operation in the 1890s. By the 1950s, oil-fired boilers were installed to heat the greenhouses. During the 1960s and 1970s, waste oil contaminated with PCBs, PAHs, and metals were accepted. Problems arose from the storage, handling and combustion of the oil. The owner collected, sold and disposed of the oil until he was stopped by a court order in 1981.
Before a final cleanup plan was selected in 1989 to remove the source of the contamination, EPA took emergency steps to drain two contaminated ponds, divert surface water runoff to a retention pond, treat wastewater, and remove and incinerate sludge and soil. The final cleanup plan involved diverting ground water and covering certain areas of the site. According to a 1989 legal agreement called a consent decree, several companies determined responsible for the contamination agreed to do the cleanup.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has completed a review of the landfill's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- A review of deed restrictions (land and ground water use)
This was the Third five-year review (PDF) (36pp, 4.1MB) for Laskin/Poplar. Previous reviews were done in 1999 and 2004.
- Feasibility Study(PDF) (377, 38.5MB) April 1989
- Record of Decision (PDF) (44, 77K) June 1989
- Proposed Plan April 1989
- Remedial Investigation (PDF) (182 pp, 8.0MB) December 1988
- Record of Decision (PDF) (46pp, 2.0MB) September 1987
- Record of Decision (PDF) (24pp, 900K) August 1984
- Third five-year review (PDF) (36pp, 4.1MB) May 2009
- Second five-year review (PDF) (28pp, 441K) May 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (36pp, 323K) June 1999
- Federal Register Notice, Deletion from the National Priorities List (PDF) (pp., K) September 2000
- Consent Decree (PDF) (199pp, 3.7MB) September 1990
- Consent Order (PDF) (54pp, 1.7 MB) February 1988
- Amended Consent Order (PDF) (9pp, 434K) September 1986
- Consent Order (PDF) (9pp, 475K) July 1986