Lemberger Transport and Recycling
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-0214 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60214
(where to view written records)
Manitowoc Public Library
707 Quay St.
Whitelaw Village Hall
147 W. Menasha Ave.
The 16-acre site operated as an unlined landfill from 1970 to 1976. Nearly 1 million gallons of tar and paint sludge, large amounts of aluminum dust and PCBs were buried there. Heavy metals contaminated the ground water. The owner of the farms adjoining the landfill plowed portions of the site and exposed bulk wastes and drums. Although the landfill's owner filed for bankruptcy in the early 1980s, a group of companies who had transported waste to the site during its years of operation paid for the soil and ground water cleanup. Much of the work was done in conjunction with the nearby Lemberger Landfill site.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fourth five-year review for the landfill.
Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process. The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- A summary of cleanup requirements
- A report on the effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
A report, which will be available by the end of July 2015, will detail the site's progress.
- Final Remedial Investigation (RI) Report (PDF) (343pp, 16.5MB) - October 1990
- Final Phased Feasibility Study (PDF) (363pp, 17.6MB) - May 1991
- Record of Decision (PDF) (19pp, 43K) September 1994
- Record of Decision (PDF) (24pp, 55K) September 1991
- Third five-year review (PDF) (249 pp, 47MB) July 2010
- Second five-year review (PDF) (59 pp, 6.9MB) 2005
- First five-year review (for both sites) (PDF) (33pp, 1.3MB) November 2000
- Lemberger Transport & Recycling Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) (PDF) (28pp, 1.2MB) July 1993
- Consent Decree (PDF) (133pp, 5.1MB) October 1992