Loewenthal Metals Corp.
- Chicago, IL (Cook County)
- EPA ID# ILP000510081
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (email@example.com)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Steven Faryan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-9351 or 800-621-8431, ext. 39351 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Loewenthal Metals is a former industrial site at 947 W. Cullerton St. in Chicago, Ill. The half-acre site is in a largely residential area, just west of Interstate 90/94. Historical records indicate that the facility operated as a lead and zinc smelter, as well as a scrap metal dealer, during the 1940s.
In December 2011, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency referred the site to EPA for a potential cleanup action. EPA began to investigate and was unable to get a response from the current owners regarding access. As a result, the Department of Justice obtained a warrant allowing EPA access to the site to conduct sampling activities beginning the week of Nov. 26, 2012.
The City of Chicago erected a temporary fence in December 2012 to prevent public access to the property.
EPA recently concluded the cleanup at the former Loewenthal Metals site to remove high concentrations of lead in the soil and ensure that the property is safe for residential use in the future. A total of 4,800 tons of contaminated soil and debris were excavated, removed and replaced with clean soil that was seeded to prevent erosion. The contaminated soil was treated with a stabilizer agent and transported to Republic Services Newton County landfill in Indiana, where it was disposed of as non-hazardous material. The City of Chicago changed the zoning on the property to single residential while EPA conducted the cleanup.
The City of Chicago also conducted its own cleanup of a portion of land that it owns immediately adjacent and east of the Loewenthal site between September 30 and October 11, 2013 to address high lead levels in that soil. The City's contractor, SET, excavated 64 cubic yards of hazardous soil which was hauled off-site for treatment and disposal. Geotextile fabric was placed on the bottom of the excavation and the excavated areas were filled with clean soil. EPA is waiting for a final report and documentation from the city on its soil removal.
The Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) has performed soil sampling in the Sangamon Street corridor east of the site and EPA is evaluating the data. EPA will continue working with the City and BNSF regarding future plans for the Sangamon Street corridor.
- Three-Month Lead Cleanup Scheduled to Begin June 24 (PDF) (1pp, 54KB) June 2013
- Inician el 24 de junio tres meses de limpieza del plomo (PDF) (1pp, 54KB) June 2013
- U.S. EPA Plans Urgent Lead Cleanup (PDF) (1pg, 53K) March 2013
- EPA de EE.UU. Planifica Acción de Emergencia (PDF) (1pg, 52K) March 2013
- Report of Laboratory Analysis and Map of Soil Sample Locations by BNSF between 19th and Cullerton Streets (PDF) (22 pp, 537K) Nov 12, 2013
- Soil Analytical Results BNSF / North of Loewenthal Metals (PDF) (4 pp, 43K) Nov 12, 2013
- POLREP # 15 (PDF) (5 pp, 37K) Oct. 22, 2013
- POLREP #14 (PDF) (3 pp, 116K) Sept 25, 2013
- POLREP #13 (PDF) (5 pp, 93K) Sept 23, 2013
- POLREP #12 Progress (PDF) (5 pp, 93K) Sept 11, 2013
- Data Validation Report (PDF)(37 pp, 470K) Sept 9, 2013
- Sampling Location and Results Map of Railway Area east of Loewenthal Metals (PDF) (1 pp, 281K) Sept 5, 2013
- Analytical results of sampling collected on BNSF and City of Chicago Right-of-Way east of the Loewenthal Metals (PDF) (65 pp, 37K) Sept 5, 2013
- POLREP #11 Progress (PDF)(5 pp, 340K) Sept 5, 2013
- POLREP #10 Progress (PDF) (4 pp, 28K) Aug 28, 2013
- POLREP #9 Progress (PDF) (6 pp, 28K) Aug 21, 2013
- POLREP #8 Progress (PDF) (6 pp, 28K) Aug 16, 2013
- POLREP #7 Progress (PDF) (6 pp, 28K) Aug 13, 2013
- POLREP #6 Progress (PDF) (3 pp, 36K) July 24, 2013
- POLREP #5 Progress (PDF) (5 pp, 97K) July 24, 2013
- POLREP #4 Progress (PDF) (4 pp, 67K) July 18, 2013
- POLREP #3 Progress (PDF) (4 pp, 96K) July 10, 2013
- POLREP #2 Progress (PDF) (4 pp, 96K) July 3, 2013
- POLREP #1 Progress (PDF) (5 pp, 77K) June 27, 2013
- Air Monitoring Plan (PDF) (12pp, 608KB) May 2013
- Site Health and Safety Plan (PDF) (45pp, 1.4MB) June 2013
- Request for Approval and Funding for a Time-Critical Removal Action (22pp, 1.4MB) Feb. 4, 2013
- Removal Site Evaluation for Loewenthal Metals Site (PDF) (202pp, 2.6MB) Feb. 4, 2013
- Administrative warrant for entry, inspection and sampling (PDF) (4pp, 209K) Nov. 16, 2012