Mason County Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (email@example.com)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6552 or 800-621-8431, ext. 6552
(where to view written records)
Ludington Public Library
217 E. Ludington Ave.
The Mason County Landfill site is located three miles south of the city of Ludington and one mile east of Lake Michigan. The site occupies approximately 18 acres of a predominantly rural area in Pere Marquette Township. There were many chemicals of concern at the site. EPA’s and Mason County’s cleanup of the closed residential, commercial and industrial waste landfill consisted of a clay cap over the landfill (which occupies about 10 acres of the 20-acre site), limits on use of the area, and long-term ground water monitoring and cap maintenance.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The site was deleted from the National Priorities List in September 1999. The site remains in long-term operation and maintenance. A fourth five-year review is scheduled for 2011.
- U.S. EPA Recommends No Action (12pp, 602KB) August 1993
- Feasibility Study Completed (4pp, 441KB) August 1988
- Remedial Investigation Update (4pp, 264KB) December 1987
- Public Comment Feasibility Study Report, August 1988 - view at repository or contact Heriberto León
- Community Relations Plan (PDF) (35pp, 1.20MB) April 1986
- Record of Decision, September 1988 - view at repository or contact Heriberto León
- Declaration for the Record of Decision (PDF) (37pp, 1.89MB) Septemeber 1993
- Fourth five-year review (PDF) (24pp, 2MB) January 2011
- Third five-year review (PDF) (33pp, 1.48MB) February 2006
- Second five-year review (PDF) (9pp, 491KB) February 2001
- First five-year review (PDF) (4pp, 260KB) September 1997
- Transcript from public meeting (PDF) (49pp, 1.75MB) August 1993