Master Disposal Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-5251 or 800-621-8431, ext. 65251
WDNR Site Manager
(where to view written records)
Brookfield Public Library
1900 N. Calhoun Road
The Master Disposal Service Landfill site is located at 19900 W. Capitol Dr. in the town of Brookfield, Waukesha County, Wisconsin. It occupies a 40-acre parcel of land, with 26 acres comprising an inoperative landfill. The site is on the marshy floodplain of the headwaters of the Fox River, which flows southwest into Illinois. About 1.4 million cubic yards of waste, including 1.5 million gallons of industrial waste such as solvents, paints, adhesives, oils, and foundry waste, were disposed of at the site when it operated between 1967 and 1982. The site was partially closed in 1982, but the cover materials used at the time came from an on-site source with inadequate clay content. Erosion of the cap and subsequent re-exposure of waste materials became a problem.
Cleanup of the landfill and ground water was completed by 1997. For the landfill, a gas control system was installed and a landfill cover and ground water pump and treat system were built. For the ground water, an extraction system was built using 11 wells to discharge water into a large pond west of the site.
Two formal status reviews in 2000 and 2005 ensured the cleanup was still protecting people and the environment. Based on findings from the 2005 review, another cleanup decision was made two years later. This 2007 decision documented EPA's final ground water cleanup plan which included natural recovery to remove remaining benzene, regular testing, and the re-activation of the pump and treat system if it appears that contamination might move off-site.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Latest Update: February 2015
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fourth five-year review for the landfill. Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process.
The review will include:
• An evaluation of background information
• A summary of cleanup requirements
• A report on the effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
• An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
A report, which will be available by May, will detail the site's progress.
- Final Record of Decision for the Groundwater Operable Unit, September 2007 (PDF) (117pp, 7.8MB)
- Proposed Plan For the Groundwater Control Operable Unit: Master Disposal Service Landfill Site (PDF) (32pp, 882K)
- Technical Memorandum for Operable Unit 2 (PDF) (152pp, 6.2MB) May 2007
- Second Five Year Review Report (PDF) (159pp, 5.7MB) September 2005
- First Five Year Review Report (PDF) (20pp, 311K) September 2000
- EPA Superfund Record of Decision (PDF) (21pp, 51K) September 1990
- Administrative Order By Consent (PDF) (58pp, 1.5MB) June 1986
- Third Five Year Review Report (PDF) (126pp, 16.2MB) May 2010
- Second five-year review (PDF) (159pp, 5.7MB) September 2005
- First five-year review (PDF) (20pp, 311K) September 2000