- Milwaukee, WI (Milwaukee County)
- EPA ID# WID039052626
- NPL Site Narrative
- NPL Factsheet
- Site Progress Profile (CERCLIS listing)
- Alias(es): Kerr-McGee Oil Co.
Latest photos (November 2009)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Ross del Rosario (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6195 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66195
(where to view written records)
Mill Road Library
6431 N. 76th Street
An Administrative Record, which contains detailed information upon which the selected cleanup plans were based, is also located at the Mill Road Library and at the U.S. EPA Region 5 office in Chicago.
The Moss-American site comprises 88 acres including a former creosote facility and six miles of the Little Menomonee River, which is adjacent to the former facility. The Moss-American property is located at the intersection of Brown Deer and Granville Roads on Milwaukee's northwest side. About 65 acres are undeveloped Milwaukee County park land. About 23 acres are owned by the Union Pacific Railroad and are currently being used for industrial purposes. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the site's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2020.
As a follow-up to this five-year review, we are looking at ways to improve the existing groundwater treatment system since our cleanup goals have not been met. This work is expected to last until 2017. EPA will continue to monitor the site through 2026 and then determine if it can be taken off the Superfund list.
The Little Menomonee River cleanup was completed in December 2009 which involved rerouting portions of the river as well as dredging contaminated sediment where rerouting wasn’t possible. Although most of the river cleanup was done by previous site owner Tronox (formerly part of Kerr-McGee), the last 1,000 feet (segments 4 and 5) were done by EPA because Tronox filed for bankruptcy in 2009.
The river project followed a cleanup of the Moss-American property at Brown Deer and Granville Roads on the northwest side of Milwaukee. Since this was the source of the river's contamination, groundwater and soil were cleaned up first before moving on to the river. That cleanup was completed in 2002.
The EPA and U.S Department of Justice announced in April 2014 that an agreement had been reached to resolve fraudulent conveyance claims against Kerr-McGee Corp. and related subsidiaries of Anadarko Petroleum Corp., the company that purchased Kerr-McGee. As the largest recovery for the cleanup of environmental contamination in U.S. history, Anadarko agreed to pay $5.1 billion to a litigation trust to be distributed to its beneficiaries. Nearly $4.4 billion has been paid for cleanup work associated with approximately 2,700 Superfund sites in 47 states, including Moss-American which received about $3 million.
In addition to filing bankruptcy claims against Tronox, the United States also filed a lawsuit against Kerr-McGee Corp. and Anadarko Petroleum Corp. The United States believed that during the process of corporate restructuring, Kerr-McGee transferred its federal environmental liabilities out of Kerr-McGee and into Tronox to avoid having to pay for environmental cleanups.
- EPA Finishes Cleanup on Little Menomonee River (PDF) (4 pp, 2.0MB) January 2010
- Cleanup Nears Completion in Little Menomonee River (PDF) (2 pp, 265K) December 2007
- More Cleanup Scheduled in Little Menomonee River (PDF) (2 pp, 30K) December 2005
- Little Menomonee River Reroute Progresses (PDF) (4 pp, 682K) April 2004
- River Cleanup Continues (PDF) (2 pp, 98K) November 2003
- River Cleanup to Begin (PDF) (2 pp, 220K) August 2002
- Moss-American Cleanup Continues (PDF) (4 pp, 153K) August 2000
- Proposed Plan fact sheet (PDF) ( 179K) March 1998
- U.S. EPA Announces Changes in Moss-American Superfund Site Cleanup Plan (PDF) (128K) May 1997
- Explanation of Significant Differences, November 2007 (PDF) (16 pp, 2MB)
- Record of Decision Amendment, September 1998 (PDF) (40 pp, 2.0MB)
- Explanation of Significant Differences, April 1997 (PDF) (10 pp, 674K)
- Record of Decision, September 1990 (PDF) (124 pp, 5.0MB)
Five Year Reviews
- Fourth Five-Year Review (PDF) (220 pp, 15 MB) March 2015
- Third Five-Year review (PDF) (150 pp, 5.78MB) April 2010
- Second Five-Year review (PDF) (107 pp, 24.5MB) September 2005
- First Five-Year review (PDF) (10 pp, 626K) September 2000