Muskego Sanitary Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6552 or 800-621-8431, ext. 6652
Assistant Regional Counsel
312-886-0562 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60562
(where to view written records)
Muskego Public Library
S73W16663 Janesville Rd
The Muskego Sanitary Landfill is a 56-acre site that was the location of a former landfill, animal-rendering plant and gravel quarry in Muskego, Wisconsin. EPA has been overseeing a cleanup done by site owner Waste Management of Wisconsin, Inc. and several other companies that sent industrial waste to the landfill or used hazardous substances on site. They are all considered to be responsible for environmental problems at the site. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The United States District Court in Milwaukee approved a legal document called a consent decree on July 21, 2011. Under this consent decree, four companies (Waste Management of Wisconsin, Inc., ArcelorMittal Mortgage Acceptance, Inc., General Electric Co., and PPG Industries, Inc.) will clean up the site as outlined in a document called an Explanation of Significant Differences (19pp, 2.22MB) issued in September 2010.
Last December, EPA approved the companies’ work plan dated November 2011. According to the schedule outlined in the work plan, the companies will begin work this year (under EPA supervision) to:
- Complete construction of eight additional ground water monitoring wells south, southeast and east of the landfill to be incorporated into the ongoing monitoring program at the site.
- Submit an updated operation and maintenance plan.
- Begin a two-year program to sample and evaluate areas beyond the landfill to verify whether ground water contamination is naturally breaking down.
- Submit a plan for documenting and implementing institutional controls such as ordinances and deed restrictions to limit the use of landfill property and ground water.
- Submit a wellhead protection plan to ensure that City Well #7 is not affected by contaminated ground water.
- Submit a plan to maintain and, if necessary, improve source control technologies currently being used including landfill liquid and gas collections systems, landfill cap and ground water treatment and monitoring systems.
- Prepare a final report after the two-year sampling program to document whether ground water contamination is naturally breaking down.
- Remedial Design/Remedial Action Work Plan Revision 1 (PDF) (116pp, 10MB) November 2011
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (19pp, 2.2MB) September 2010
- US EPA letter - expanded ground water monitoring report (PDF) (2pg, 88K) August 2010
- Upper & Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Maps (PDF) (2pg, 17" x 10.99 ", 1.38MB) August 2010
- Upper Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pg, 17" x 10.99 ", 438K) May 2009
- Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1 pg, 17" x 10.99",449K) May 2009
- Muskego Upper Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pg, 34" x 22", 1.32MB) November 2007
- Muskego Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pp, 34" x 23", 776K) November 2007
- Muskego site groundwater existing conditions map (PDF) (1pg, 22" x 34", 1.1MB) December 2006
- Record of Decision, February 02, 1995 (PDF) (39pp, 88K)
- 1994 Public Health Assessment from ATSDR
- Record of Decision, June 12, 1992 (PDF) (29pp, 63K)
Five Year Review Reports
- Muskego Five Year Review, 2009 (PDF) (39pp, 4MB)
- Muskego Five Year Review, 2004 (PDF) (374pp, 58MB)
- Muskego Five Year Review, 1999 (PDF) (10pp, 660K)
- Consent Decree for Remedial Design/Remedial Action (PDF) (329pp, 4.88MB) July 2011
- Order Granting Motion to Enter Consent Decree (PDF) (2pp, 16K) July 2011
- Motion to Enter Consent Decree (PDF) (364pp, 9MB) July 2011
- Proposed Consent Decree for Remedial Design/Remedial Action, April 2011 (PDF) (334pp, 7.6MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, June 1995 (PDF) (58pp, 4MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, December, 1992 (PDF) (160pp, 11.8MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, December 1992 (PDF) (160pp, 12.1MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, January 1991 (PDF) (12pp, 607K)
- Administrative Order by Consent, August 1987 (PDF) (37pp, 1.2MB)