Muskego Sanitary Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6552 or 800-621-8431, ext. 6652
Assistant Regional Counsel
312-886-0562 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60562
(where to view written records)
Muskego Public Library
S73W16663 Janesville Rd
The Muskego Sanitary Landfill is a 56-acre site that was the location of a former landfill, animal-rendering plant and gravel quarry in Muskego, Wisconsin. EPA has been overseeing a cleanup done by site owner Waste Management of Wisconsin, Inc. and several other companies that sent industrial waste to the landfill or used hazardous substances on site. They are all considered to be responsible for environmental problems at the site. (more...)
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fourth five-year review for Muskego Sanitary Landfill. Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process.
The review will include:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
A report, which will be available by August 2014, will detail the site's progress.
A two-year program to sample and evaluate ground water in areas beyond the landfill began last year to verify whether ground water contamination is naturally breaking down. All samples are sent to an EPA-approved lab for analysis. This program is expected to run until mid-2014.
Other work underway includes a wellhead protection plan, in cooperation with the city of Muskego, to ensure that City Well #7 is not affected by contaminated ground water. This is being supervised and reviewed by EPA, according to a November 2011 work plan.
EPA has also been overseeing:
- Construction completion of eight additional ground water monitoring wells south, southeast and east of the landfill to be incorporated into the ongoing monitoring program.
- An updated operation and maintenance plan.
- A plan for documenting and implementing “institutional controls” such as ordinances and deed restrictions to limit the use of landfill property and ground water. A plan to maintain and, if necessary, improve source control technologies currently being used including landfill liquid and gas collections systems and landfill cap and ground water treatment and monitoring systems.
Four companies (Waste Management of Wisconsin, Inc., ArcelorMittal Mortgage Acceptance, Inc., General Electric Co., and PPG Industries, Inc.) are cleaning up the site under a July 2011 consent decree. They are doing this by following a September 2012 document called an Explanation of Significant Differences.
- Map 1. Upper Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pp, 804KB) December 2012
- Map 2. Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pp, 804KB) December 2012
- Remedial Design/Remedial Action Work Plan Revision 1 (PDF) (116pp, 10MB) November 2011
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (19pp, 2.2MB) September 2010
- US EPA letter - expanded ground water monitoring report (PDF) (2pg, 88K) August 2010
- Upper & Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Maps (PDF) (2pg, 17" x 10.99 ", 1.38MB) August 2010
- Upper Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pg, 17" x 10.99 ", 438K) May 2009
- Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1 pg, 17" x 10.99",449K) May 2009
- Muskego Upper Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pg, 34" x 22", 1.32MB) November 2007
- Muskego Lower Sand Unit Water Quality Map (PDF) (1pp, 34" x 23", 776K) November 2007
- Muskego site groundwater existing conditions map (PDF) (1pg, 22" x 34", 1.1MB) December 2006
- Record of Decision, February 02, 1995 (PDF) (39pp, 88K)
- 1994 Public Health Assessment from ATSDR
- Record of Decision, June 12, 1992 (PDF) (29pp, 63K)
Five Year Review Reports
- Muskego Five Year Review, 2009 (PDF) (39pp, 4MB)
- Muskego Five Year Review, 2004 (PDF) (374pp, 58MB)
- Muskego Five Year Review, 1999 (PDF) (10pp, 660K)
- Consent Decree for Remedial Design/Remedial Action (PDF) (329pp, 4.88MB) July 2011
- Order Granting Motion to Enter Consent Decree (PDF) (2pp, 16K) July 2011
- Motion to Enter Consent Decree (PDF) (364pp, 9MB) July 2011
- Proposed Consent Decree for Remedial Design/Remedial Action, April 2011 (PDF) (334pp, 7.6MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, June 1995 (PDF) (58pp, 4MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, December, 1992 (PDF) (160pp, 11.8MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, December 1992 (PDF) (160pp, 12.1MB)
- Unilateral Administrative Order, January 1991 (PDF) (12pp, 607K)
- Administrative Order by Consent, August 1987 (PDF) (37pp, 1.2MB)