Ottawa Township Flat Glass Site
- Naplate, Illinois (La Salle County)
- EPA ID# ILD005468616
- Alias(es): Libby Owens Ford Plant 5 & 7 site, Pilkington North America Incorporated
- Map (PDF) (1pg, 552K)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (email@example.com)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
Remedial Project Manager
(where to view written records)
1010 Canal St.,
The Ottawa Township Flat Glass site, also known as the Libby Owens Ford Plant 5 & 7 site, is located in Naplate, LaSalle County, Illinois. The 228-acre site consists of a glass manufacturing facility ("Plant #7" [currently inactive] and "Plant #5") located on the north side of the Illinois River plus former silica sand quarries, wastewater disposal areas, and a 56-acre undeveloped parcel of land. It also includes additional former silica quarries and wastewater disposal areas across from the facility on the south side of the river.
The manufacturing plant has been making flat glass products since about 1907. Arsenic trioxide was a minor ingredient in the manufacturing process from 1907 until 1970 when its use was discontinued. The final step in the manufacturing process involved grinding and polishing cast glass with fine silica sand and water. The process generated a waste slurry containing mostly sand, water, and glass particles (containing arsenic) which was discharged into the former quarries for settling of solids and discharge of overflow water into the Illinois River. The slurried waste in the settling areas contains appreciable levels of arsenic and is a source of arsenic contamination in local area groundwater as well as being a direct contact or ingestion threat to human and ecological receptors.
Pilkington North America (PNA) has owned and operated the glass manufacturing facility since 1986.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Though EPA had previously planned to amend its decision to provide municipal water as the alternate water supply to impacted water supply wells, EPA has decided to implement the remedy originally specified in the 2010 Interim Record of Decision IROD for the Ottawa Township Flat Glass site. The selected remedy consists of the redirection of storm water flow away from the arsenic laden quarries; institutional controls to prevent future residential use and potable well installation; municipal water supply; and monitoring of ground-water quality over time. The remedy is currently in the design phase, and EPA expects to begin construction of the remedy in the Summer of 2014.
EPA also conducted a Five-Year Review (FYR) of the remedy chosen in the Record of Decision for Operable Units 1 and 2 of the site. The September 2013 FYR is provided below under the Five Year Review section of this website. A copy of the 2013 FYR is also available in the site’s information repository at the Reddick Library in Ottawa, IL.
- Alternate Water Supply Offered to Several Property Owners with Well Water Containing Arsenic (PDF) (2pg, 44K) July 2012
- Interim Clean Up for Polluted Underground Water Supply (PDF) (1pg, 1.6MB) August 2009
- No Further Cleanup Action Proposed for Yards, River (PDF) (6pp, 1.75MB) June 2008
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Remedial Design (PDF) (102pp, 10.3MB) January 2012
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (55pp, 2.7MB) September 2011
- Interim Record of Decision (PDF) (52pp, 6.3MB) September 2010 is too large, please visit repository or contact Heriberto León for a CD containing the document.
- Feasibility Study for Operable Unit 3 (PDF) (2260pp, 240MB) June 2009 is too large, please visit repository or contact Heriberto León for a CD containing the document.
- Record of Decision (PDF) (39pp, 1.33MB) September 2008
- Remedial Investigation report (PDF) (12,653pp, 1.4GB) August 2008 is too large, please visit repository or contact Heriberto León for a CD containing the document.
- First five-year review (PDF) (20pp, 1.7MB) Sept 2013
EPA held a public comment period from August 19-September 18, 2009. EPA held a public meeting August 26, 2009.