Northside Sanitary Landfill Superfund Site
Contact InformationCommunity Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (email@example.com)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-6552 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66552
(where to view written records)
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library
250 N. Fifth St.
The 65-acre Northside Sanitary Landfill is located on a 180-acre parcel of land at 985 S. State Road 421 in central Indiana just north of Indianapolis near Zionsville. Over 16 million gallons of hazardous wastes were dumped there from the 1950s until 1983 when the State Environmental Management Board issued a notice of violation and ordered the owner to stop accepting hazardous waste. During those years, waste containing heavy metals, solvents and PCBs was accepted there.
Cleanup plans were selected in 1987 and 1991 which included the installation of a hazardous waste cover with gas venting over the landfill, an underground wall, a ground-water collection system and storage area, a fence, and a ground-water monitoring system. In addition, contaminated ground water and leachate (define) were disposed of at an off-site treatment plant.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the landfill's cleanup in May 2014. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect human health and the environment. The review found that the Site continued to be protective of human health and the environment in the short-term. In order for the site remedy to be protective in the long-term, enhanced ICs for the Site need to be implemented.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information.
- Cleanup requirements.
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions.
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently.
This was the fourth five-year review for Northside. Three previous reviews were done in 1999, 2004 and 2009. The next scheduled review will be in 2014.
An Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD) regarding the constructed treatment wetland (CTW) system was completed and signed for the Site on December 23, 2009. Full scale operation of the completed CTW began in 2011.
- Preliminary Close Out Report (PDF) (8pp, 162K) September 3, 1996
- Record of Decision Amendment (PDF) (14pp, 339K) July 1991
- Record of Decision Amendment (PDF) (14pp, 298K) October 1989
- 1987 Record of Decision (PDF) (110pp, 2.3MB) September 1987
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (382pp, 8.0MB) March 27, 1986
- Third five-year review (PDF) (49pp, 7.3MB) August 2009
- Second five-year review (PDF) (15pp, 178K) September 2004
- First five-year review (PDF) (9pp, 196K) September 1999
- 1993 Consent Decree (PDF) (18pp, 278K) August 18, 1993
- 1991 Consent Decree (PDF) (80pp, 1.2MB) November 12, 1991
- 1988 Consent Decree (PDF) (40pp, 615K) May 16, 1988