Outboard Marine Corporation
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
Remedial Project Managers
or 800-621-8431, ext. 34367
or 800-621-8431, ext. 61841
or 800-621-8431, ext. 65251
(where to view written records)
Waukegan Public Library
128 N. County St.
Waukegan Harbor Cleanup
Final preparations for dredging of harbor sediment have begun. Harbor dredging is planned to begin in September 2012 and to be complete by fall 2013. Construction of a water treatment plant and sediment consolidation facility (CF) on the OMC Plant 2 property began in March 2012. The treatment plant will process water that is dredged with the sediment and then return the cleaned water to the harbor. The CF will hold the dredged sediment. Additionally, a failed portion of the harbor seawall is currently being replaced in order for the seawall to support dredging operations. Later in summer 2012, a portion of the North Marina in Waukegan Harbor will be removed so that contaminated sediment beneath it can be dredged. Because OMC is out of business, EPA and Illinois EPA are conducting and paying for this second harbor cleanup.
OMC Plant 2 Cleanup
Most of the contaminated soil and sediment has now been removed; however, areas of contaminated soil and sediment remain that may require alternative cleanup methods. EPA plans to present alternate cleanup plans for these areas to the public for comment in July 2012.
Treatment of dissolved TCE contamination in site groundwater began in May 2012, by injecting sodium permanganate to break down the TCE into non-toxic components. This continues the ground-water cleanup effort that began last year. In November 2011, a concentrated pool of TCE nearly 28 feet below ground surface was treated with iron filings that were injected into the TCE mass to destroy the TCE so that it cannot be a continual source of dissolved contamination to the ground water. In September 2011, EPA also installed an underground air-sparge curtain treatment system along the south boundary of the OMC Plant 2 property. The air sparge curtain uses a line of air bubbles released in the groundwater to remove dissolved solvents from the ground water before it flows off site towards the harbor. The air-sparge curtain system will be operated for at least 15 years.
- Proposed Plan to Amend the September 2007 Record of Decision for the OMC Plant 2 Site (PDF) (27 pp, 682K) July 2012
- EPA propone plan modificado de limpieza para contaminación de suelo (PDF)(9 pp, 670K) July 2012
- Record of Decision Amendment for Outboard Marine Corporation Superfund Site (PDF) (86 pp, 4.6MB) October 2009
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Harbor Pollution (PDF) Factsheet (10 pp, 2.5MB) October 2008
- EPA Propone Plan de Limpieza de Contaminacion del Puerto (PDF) Factsheet (10 pp, 746K) Octubre de 2008
- EPA Propone un Plan de Limpieza United States Environmental Protection para el Sitio de la Planta 2 de OMC (PDF) (11 pp, 458K) Agosto 2008
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan United States Environmental Protection for OMC Plant 2 Site (PDF) (10 pp, 480K) August 2008
- La EPA Propone el primer Plan de Limpieza para el Sitio de Planta 2 del Outboard Marine Corp., Inc. (PDF) (10 pp, 612K) Diciembre 2006
- EPA Proposes First Cleanup Plan for the Outboard Marine Corp., Inc. Plant 2 Site (PDF) (10 pp, 249K) December 2006