Penta Wood Products
- Daniels, WI (Burnett County)
- EPA ID#WID980610646
- Alias(es):Penta Wood Products Incorporated
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-3854 or 800-621-8431, ext. 63854
(where to view written records)
Burnett Community Library
7451 W. Main St.
Grantsburg Public Library
415 S. Robert St.
The 82-acre Penta Wood Products site is located in a predominantly agricultural area about two miles west of Siren. It operated from 1953 to 1992 using a chemical called pentachlorophenol, or PCP to treat wood posts and telephone poles. Back then, the site consisted of a main treatment building, an oil/water separator building, a gully where wastewater was discharged, a waste-water lagoon, a wood chip pile, and several other buildings, sawmills, garages and storage sheds. During its operation, wastewater containing oil and PCP was discharged into the lagoon and onto the wood chip pile. Two years after Penta Wood was closed, PCP and arsenic were found on-site in soil and ground water.
The cleanup was done in two phases. From 1994 to 1996, EPA removed about 28 storage tanks containing liquid and sludge. Also, 43,000 gallons of a PCP/oil mixture and sludge were disposed of off-site. The treatment building was demolished and contaminated soil was cleaned on-site or disposed of off-site.
By 2000, EPA had further studied the site and completed the cleanup. This included demolishing all the remaining buildings and equipment, excavating and moving contaminated soil and woodchips to an on-site disposal area, stabilizing arsenic-contaminated soil by mixing it with concrete and covering it, constructing a water-treatment system, building and infiltration and concrete basin, clearing trees and brush, installing pipes for the treatment system and ground-water extraction wells, and erecting a fence around the soil cover area.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Latest Update: March 2010
EPA has completed a status review of the Penta Wood cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next review will be in 2015. The Second Five Year Review (PDF) (56pp, 6.4MB) March 2010 details the site's progress.
- Cleanup Complete at Penta Wood Products Site (PDF) (2pp, 180K) September 2000
- Cleanup to begin at Penta Wood site (PDF)(4pp, 446K) March 2000
- Proposed Plan (PDF)(8pp, 584K) July, 1998
- Record of Decision (PDF) (100pp, 4.7MB) September 1998
- Feasibility Study(PDF) (341pp, 19.6MB) June 1998
- Final Pollution Report (PDF) (6pp, 96K) July 1998
- First Pollution Report(PDF)(2pp, 96) April 1994
- Action memorandum(PDF)(25pp, 1.1MB) November 1993
Five Year Reviews
- Second Five Year Review (PDF) (56pp, 6.4MB) March 2010
- First Five Year Review (PDF)(180pp, 6.1MB) March 2005