DuPont Facility (East Chicago)
- 5215 Kennedy Avenue
East Chicago, Indiana (Lake County)
- EPA ID# IND 005 174 354
- RCRA Corrective Action site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Rafael P. Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0269 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60269
Jennifer Dodds (email@example.com)
312-886-1484 or 800-621-8431, ext. 1484
(where to view written records)
The East Chicago Public Library
1008 W. Chicago Ave.
East Chicago, Ind.
U.S. EPA, Region 5
Land and Chemicals Division Records Center
77 West Jackson Boulevard, 7th Floor
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
The DuPont facility is at 5215 Kennedy Ave. The Natural Area and Buffer Zone make up the 195-acre eastern portion of the facility. An industrial area along Gary and Cline Avenues roughly forms the eastern and northern boundary, the Grand Calumet River is the southern boundary and the former DuPont manufacturing area is the western boundary. The area near the Natural Area and Buffer Zone is mostly industrial with a residential area – East Chicago’s Riley Park community – to the northwest.
The Natural Area is an undeveloped tract of original lakeplain/dunes land with alternating dry sand ridges and wet organic swales.
The entire DuPont facility consists of the Natural Area and adjacent Buffer Zone, plus 29 acres leased for active industrial use, 30 acres of solid waste landfill, 155 acres of former industrial property that could be redeveloped and 52 acres of open and/or filled land.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA took public comments on the proposed Natural Area cleanup plan between Aug. 13 and Sept. 12, 2014. If there is enough interest, EPA will also hold a public meeting to present the proposed plan, answer questions and accept oral comments. For more information, contact Project Manager Jennifer Dodds.
Under a proposed cleanup plan, EPA would clean up metal-contaminated soil while ensuring the protection and continued long-term stewardship and conservation of the 172-acre Natural Area in the eastern portion of the DuPont Facility site. DuPont gave the Natural Area to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources as a conservation easement. The Nature Conservancy has managed the area since 1999. It is home to many rare, threatened or endangered plant and wildlife species.
DuPont found that releases from its former industrial property had contaminated western portions of the Natural Area. To immediately protect the Natural Area and improve the quality of its unique habitat, the company did an interim cleanup in the fall of 2012. DuPont dug up and removed about 77,000 cubic yards of soil with high concentrations of metals – mostly lead, arsenic and zinc – from 20 acres of the adjacent Buffer Zone and a small portion of the Natural Area, and stockpiled it on their contaminated industrial property.
The 23-acre Buffer Zone, just west of the Natural Area, has been affected by releases from the former industrial portion of the site. DuPont’s investigations found that surface soil concentrations of metals such as antimony, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead and zinc were above levels established to protect human health and the environment.
EPA’s proposed plan would clean up remaining contamination and deal with the stockpiled soil from the interim cleanup. It would be done under the legal authority of the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. RCRA requires public participation in the cleanup process, so EPA has set a public comment period.
- EPA Proposes Cleanup for Natural Area at DuPont Fact Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 134K)
- DuPont Natural Area Statement of Basis (PDF) (19 pp, 338K)
- Figure for Statement of Basis (PDF) (1p, 443K)
- Index of Administrative Record (PDF) (9 pp, 125K)
- DuPont Facility East Chicago Site Map (PDF) (1 pg, 11 x 17 inches, 800 K) June 2014
- Interim Remedial Measures Buffer Zone Completion Report (PDF) (1,291 pp, 36.7 MB)
- Natural Area Evaluation Report (PDF) (325 pp, 16.3 MB) July 2013
- DuPont RCRA Corrective Action Order (PDF) (88 pp, 1.8MB) June 17, 1997