Lakeshore Foundry Co., Inc. Site
- Waukegan IL (Lake County)
- EPA ID# ILD0001115912
- CERCLIS listing
Public Affairs Specialist
Rafael P. Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0269 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60269
Jennifer Dodds (email@example.com)
312-886-1484 or 800-621-8431, ext. 1484
(where to view written records)
Waukegan Public Library
128 North Country Street
Waukegan IL 60085
EPA Region 5
Land and Chemicals Division Records Center
77 W. Jackson Blvd., 7th Floor
Chicago IL 60604
The Lakeshore Foundry Site (LSF) is a 0.77 acre site located in Waukegan, Illinois on a bluff along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
Established in 1900, the foundry produced non-ferrous alloys, including brass, bronze, and aluminum castings. Also, LSF historically manufactured red brass and tin bronze, which may have contained lead.
In 2006, EPA and LSF signed an Administrative Order on Consent to address contamination resulting from over 100 years of foundry operations.
The site investigation included sampling and analysis of soil, groundwater, and sediments from the site and an adjacent beach area on Lake Michigan.
To address the source of lead, the main site contaminant, LSF implemented Interim Measures as required by the Administrative Order to excavate lead-contaminated soils.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
You’re invited to comment
on a cleanup proposal
Comment Period: June 24 – July 25, 2014
EPA will accept public comments on the proposed cleanup recommendations for the Lakeshore Foundry Co., Inc site in Waukegan through July 25, 2014. EPA will also consider a public meeting to present the cleanup alternatives and the Agency’s preferred cleanup plan if residents are interested.
Written comments can be mailed or emailed to Jennifer Dodds, Project Manager, 77 W. Jackson Blvd., LU-9J, Chicago IL. 60604, or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also use our online coment form.
You may review more information about the proposed cleanup plan on this webpage or at the Waukegan Public Library, 128 North Country St., Waukegan.
EPA will select a final remedy after the public comment period closes on July 25 and EPA has reviewed and considered the information provided by the public.
- Make a public comment
- Statement of Basis (PDF) (20pp, 286K) explains the proposed remedy for cleaning up hazardous contaminants and summarizes the other alternative remedies that were analyzed.
- Figure for Statement of Basis (PDF) (1pp, 200K)
- Index of Administrative Record (PDF) (2pp, 63K)
- Corrective Measures Study/Corrective Measures Proposal (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Dec 2012
- DOCC 7th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Jan 2012
- DOCC 6th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) July 2011
- DOCC 5th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) March 2011
- DOCC 4th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) June 2009
- DOCC Addendum 2 - 2nd Groundwater Sampling Analysis (PDF) (41pp, 988K) Jan 2009
- DOCC Addendum (PDF) (214pp, 5.6MB) Aug 2008
- Description of Current Conditions (DOCC) Report (PDF) (60pp, 17MB) March 2008
- Interim Measures Completion Report (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Jan 2008
- Interim Measures Report (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Aug 2007
- Revised Interim Measures Workplan (PDF)(52pp, 14MB) April 2007