Lakeshore Foundry Co., Inc. Site
- Waukegan IL (Lake County)
- EPA ID# ILD0001115912
- CERCLIS listing
Public Affairs Specialist
Rafael P. Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0269 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60269
Jennifer Dodds (email@example.com)
312-886-1484 or 800-621-8431, ext. 1484
(where to view written records)
Waukegan Public Library
128 North Country Street
Waukegan IL 60085
EPA Region 5
Land and Chemicals Division Records Center
77 W. Jackson Blvd., 7th Floor
Chicago IL 60604
The Lakeshore Foundry Site (LSF) is a 0.77 acre site located in Waukegan, Illinois on a bluff along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
Established in 1900, the foundry produced non-ferrous alloys, including brass, bronze, and aluminum castings. Also, LSF historically manufactured red brass and tin bronze, which may have contained lead.
In 2006, EPA and LSF signed an Administrative Order on Consent to address contamination resulting from over 100 years of foundry operations.
The site investigation included sampling and analysis of soil, groundwater, and sediments from the site and an adjacent beach area on Lake Michigan.
To address the source of lead, the main site contaminant, LSF implemented Interim Measures as required by the Administrative Order to excavate lead-contaminated soils.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Region 5, presents this Final Decision (FD), which identifies the final remedies selected for the Lakeshore Foundry Co., Inc. Site (LSF) located in Waukegan, Illinois, pursuant to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Section 3008(h). Included in this FD is a summary of conditions found at the Site, the risks posed by those conditions, the interim measures taken, and the final corrective action alternatives that EPA has selected. Additional details relating to the Site conditions, the measures taken and all the alternatives considered are available in the Statement of Basis issued by EPA in June 2014. Prior to issuing this FD, EPA presented the Statement of Basis to the public and stakeholders for review and comment from June 24, 2014- July 25, 2014. No comments were received by EPA during the public comment period.
- Final Decision Soil and Groundwater Cleanup (PDF)(42pp, 1.4MB) September 25, 2014
- Statement of Basis (PDF) (20pp, 286K) explains the proposed remedy for cleaning up hazardous contaminants and summarizes the other alternative remedies that were analyzed.
- Figure for Statement of Basis (PDF) (1pp, 200K)
- Index of Administrative Record (PDF) (2pp, 63K)
- Corrective Measures Study/Corrective Measures Proposal (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Dec 2012
- DOCC 7th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Jan 2012
- DOCC 6th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) July 2011
- DOCC 5th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) March 2011
- DOCC 4th Round GW Sampling (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) June 2009
- DOCC Addendum 2 - 2nd Groundwater Sampling Analysis (PDF) (41pp, 988K) Jan 2009
- DOCC Addendum (PDF) (214pp, 5.6MB) Aug 2008
- Description of Current Conditions (DOCC) Report (PDF) (60pp, 17MB) March 2008
- Interim Measures Completion Report (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Jan 2008
- Interim Measures Report (PDF) (52pp, 14MB) Aug 2007
- Revised Interim Measures Workplan (PDF)(52pp, 14MB) April 2007