Textileather Corporation (City of Toledo)
RCRA Site Information
Community Involvement Coordinator
Rafael P. Gonzalez (email@example.com)
312-886-0269 or 800-621-8431, ext. 0269
Carolyn Bury (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-3020 or 800-621-8431, ext. 63020
(where to view written records)
Toledo Public Library
3422 Lagrange St.
EPA Records Center
77 W. Jackson Blvd., 7th Floor
The Textileather facility manufactured vinyl products for the automobile industry until it closed in 2009. The City of Toledo purchased the property from the Textileather Corporation in December 2014. The property is located on the northeast side of Toledo, Ohio, surrounded by industrial, commercial, and residential areas.
The property had been used for various manufacturing purposes since 1920. While operational, hazardous waste and hazardous constituents were released into the environment, including include solvents, phthalates, and PCBs.
The owner remediated significant historical PCB releases under TSCA in the 1990s.
Additionally, PCBs and other contamination in the nearby Ottawa River (from multiple sources) were remediated under the Great Lakes Legacy Act in 2010. The Ottawa River is a tributary to the Maumee River which is a Great Lakes Area of Concern.
The program responsible for overseeing the remediation is called the Corrective Action program.
In September 2009, the owner and EPA signed an Administrative Order on Consent requiring investigation and remediation of the site by Textileather.
In January 2015, EPA signed a RCRA 3008(h) Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) with the City of Toledo (Toledo) and simultaneously terminated an existing AOC with Textileather Corporation for the site.
The Textileather Corporation had been conducting an investigation and cleanup on the property since September 2009.
Remedial work at the site will consist largely of excavation and disposal of contaminated soil.
The City of Toledo purchased the property in December 2014 to complement its economic redevelopment plans for an industrial corridor. The City asked EPA to transfer responsibility for corrective action from Textileather Corporation to Toledo.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Fact Sheet City of Toedo Statement of Basis(PDF) (2pp 146KB) August 24, 2015
- Administrative Record (PDF) (1pp, 86KB) August 24, 2015
- Statement of Basis (PDF) (32pp, 530KB) August 24, 2015
- Statement of Basis Figure 1 (PDF)(1pp, 234KB)
- Statement of Basis Figure 2 (PDF)(1pp, 63KB)
- Statement of Basis Figure 3 (PDF)(1pp, 75KB)
- Statement of Basis Figure 4 (PDF)(1pp, 82KB)
- Statement of Basis Figure 5 (PDF)(1pp, 66KB)
- Statement of Basis Figure 6 (PDF) (1pp, 544KB)
- Final Remediation Alternative Tables 1-3 (PDF) (3pp, 209KB)
- Site Management Plan (PDF)(79pp, 1.7MB) May 15, 2015
- Textileather CMS Revised Addendum (PDF) (24pp, 256K) December 31, 2012
- Administrative Order on Consent with City of Toledo (PDF) (18 pp, 601 K) Jan. 23, 2015
- Current Conditions Report (PDF) (639pp, 15MB)December 11, 2009
- RCRA Facility Investigation Report (PDF) (1434pp, 16.25MB)December 31, 2012
December 31, 2012
- Textileather Corrective Measures Study Report (PDF) (51pp, 1.73MB) April 2014
- Environmental Indicator Documentation
- Current Human Exposures Under Control (PDF) (12pp, 387K) Nov. 8, 2011
- Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control (PDF) (10pp, 233K) August 2011
- Site Figure Map (PDF) (1pp, 298K) September 2011