Sauget Area 1
- Sauget, IL (St. Clair County)
- EPA ID# ILD980792006
- Alias(es): N/A
- Sauget Area 1 Map with names of companies
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 69506, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Remedial Project Manager
Stepanie Linebaugh (email@example.com)
312-353-2315 or 800-621-8431, ext. 32315
(where to view written records)
Cahokia Public Library
140 Cahokia Park Drive
Cleanup at the Sauget Area 1 site is being addressed by short-term removal actions and a long-term cleanup phase that focuses on cleaning up the entire site. The long-term cleanup phase requires a remedial investigation and feasibility study (RI/FS). This is a study of the nature and extent of contamination (RI) and a description of potential cleanup alternatives (FS). The RI/FS is being reviewed to include added studies and investigations and should be submitted to EPA for review in 2009.
Sauget Area 1 is made up of 12 contaminant sources that include Segments A-F of Dead Creek and adjacent sites G, H, I, L, M and N. Sites G, H, and I are inactive landfills or former disposal areas next to the creek. Site L was used by waste haulers to dispose wash water and sites M and N are former sand pits. Check out the map of Sauget Area 1 and 2 that highlights each source within the areas along with the names of companies that at one time operated in the areas.
Short-term cleanup performed at the sites included:
- Removing 22,000 cubic yards of contaminated creek sediment (mud) from Dead Creek.
- Consolidating waste and placing soil cover over the Site G landfill after an underground fire.
- Replacing certain culverts in Dead Creek that act as backup points for flood waters on the creek.
- Digging up 50,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment from Dead Creek Segment B-F, Site M and the basin area.
- Pumping water in areas of Dead Creek to improve drainage and lessen standing water.
- Placing a liner in creek segment B.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA ‘s proposed plan to address risk associated with contaminated soil and underground water supplies, known as ground water, is scheduled for Tuesday, March 5, 2013. EPA will be accepting comments about the plan starting February 27 through March 28.
EPA ‘s recommended cleanup is to recover pockets of tar-like liquids in certain areas of ground water and use an innovative forced air technique within areas of remaining waste. The area will be capped to avoid the spread of contamination in soil and waste.
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Soil and Ground Water Fact Sheet (PDF) (6pp, 244KB) February 2013
- Sauget Area 1 Superfund site proposed plan (PDF) (35pp, 767KB) February 2013
- Results Released for Home, Park Soil Sampling (2pp, 494K) April 2010
- Dead Creek Cleanup Done; EPA Issues Final Report (PDF) (4pp, 390K) January 2010
- Superfund Update - Cleanup Progressing and Future Plans (PDF) (2pp, 508K) November 2009
- Remedial Investigation /Feasibility Study , Vol. 1(PDF) (623pp, 6.8MB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study, Vol. 2 (PDF) (185pp, 87MB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study, Vol. 2 - Appendix A (PDF) (62pp, 669KB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study, Vol. 2 - Appendix B through I (PDF) (119pp, 8MB) February 2013
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (20pp, 546KB) November 2010
- Dead Creek - final remedy (PDF) (223pp, 6.2MB) April 2006
- Engineering Evaluation/Cost Analysis, Remedial (PDF) (518pp, 27.6MB) July 2002
- Adminstrative Order directing compliance with request for access, May 7, 2004 (PDF) (28pp, 937K) May 2004
- Administrative Order on Consent, January 12, 1999 (PDF) (53pp, 2.9MB) January 1999