Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Pamela Molitor (email@example.com)
312-886-3543, 800-621-8431, Ext. 63543
(where to view written records)
University of Wisconsin Fox Valley Library
1478 Midway Road
The Schmalz Dump site is located on State Route 2, Harrison Township in Calumet County, Wisconsin. It covers three-fourths of an acre near the northern shore of Lake Winnebago and formerly included wetlands. Unauthorized dumping occurred there from 1968 to 1979. From 1972 to 1973, fly and bottom ash from a utility company were disposed of on-site. From 1978 to 1979, building demolition debris contaminated with polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, was disposed of. Sixty residences and businesses are located within 1,000 feet from the site. It is also 500 feet from Lake Winnebago, a source of drinking water for some communities.
In the 1980s and 90s, EPA fenced off the site, excavated and removed 3,500 cubic yards of PCB-contaminated soil and sediment, and installed a soil cover. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources takes annual ground water samples to confirm that the contaminants remain below the state’s drinking water standards.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA has completed a status review of the landfill's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next review will be in 2018. The Fifth five-year review (PDF) (72pp, 2.5MB) report details the site's progress.
- Fifth five-year review (PDF) (72pp, 2.5MB) August 2013
- Fourth five-year review (PDF) (79pp, 7.7MB) August 2008
- Third five-year review (PDF) (34pp, 694KB) September 2003
- Second five-year review (PDF) (27pp, 232K) September 1998
- First five-year review (PDF) (2pp, 70K) September 1993
- Consent Decree (PDF) (27pp, 997KB) August 1993