WPSC Stevens Point MGP Site
- Stevens Point, WI (Portage County)
- EPA ID# WIN000509983
- This site is not on the NPL; it is a Superfund Alternative Site (SAS)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-3594 or 800-621-8431, ext. 63594
(where to view written records)
Portage County Public Library
Charles M. White Library Building
1001 Main St.
Stevens Point, WI
The Wisconsin Public Service Corp. site is located in Stevens Point, Wis. Currently, the 3-acre former MGP plant is open space bounded to the west by a public park owned by the city. The Wisconsin River is just west of the park.
WPSC owned and operated the gas plant from the 1890s to the late 1940s in an area that was historically industrial. Processes included coal carbonization and carbureted water gas. WPSC, under its new name Integrys, still owns the site today.
Preliminary results from samples taken in 2007 indicated the surface soil in the park and nearby areas is generally clean. Deep soil in a filled-in slough (a low area filled with mud and water connected to a larger body of water, in this case the Wisconsin River) contains tar which most likely came from the former gas plant. Ground water is also contaminated with MGP-related pollutants. The contamination is not an immediate concern because it is buried and nobody is drinking the ground water.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
A document called the “record of decision (PDF)" (54pp, 5.2MB), which details how this MGP site will be cleaned up, is available.
This final cleanup plan includes covering pond sediment, a ban on using ground water, limits on future use of the site and monitoring the ground water’s natural recovery.
EPA based its decision on information from two documents--the feasibility study and remedial investigation report. The feasibility study incorporated information from the remedial investigation report to come up with possible cleanup options. This report included results from soil, sediment, soil vapor, and ground water samples taken in 2011 and 2008. These samples were taken by WPSC/Integrys contractors in the Wisconsin River, in a small pond in Pfiffner Pioneer Park, and on and near the former manufactured gas plant site by the park.
This work, which was conducted and funded by WPSC/Integrys, took place under a 2006 legal agreement (called a consent order) between WPSC and EPA. This agreement allowed EPA to oversee the company's investigation.
Prior to EPA's involvement, various investigations and an upland cleanup were done in the 1990s under Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources oversight.
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan, Seeks Public Comments (PDF) (6 pp, 1.4MB) June 2012
Manufactured Gas Plants (MGPs)
EPA Region 5 is working on former MGPs in Wisconsin and Illinois.
- Record of Decision (PDF) (54pp, 5.2MB) September 2012
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (28 pp, 1.2MB) June 2012
- Feasibility Study - Revision 3 (April 17, 2012)
- Feasibility Study Report (PDF) (542 pp, 38.9MB)
- Feasibility Study Revision 3 Transmittal Letter (PDF) (3 pp, 124K)
- Remedial Investigation Report - Revision 3 (April 17, 2012)
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (226 pp, 28.0MB)
- Appendices - These documents are very large, so rather than post them on this web page, please visit the local site information repository to review them or contact us and we will send you copies on CD/DVD.
- Feasibility Study - Revision 2 (Dec. 23, 2011)
- Feasibility Study Report (PDF) (535 pp, 39.0MB)
- Remedial Investigation Report - Revision 2 (Dec. 14, 2011)
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (224 pp, 27.4MB)
- Remedial Investigation Report - Revision 1 (May 27, 2011)
- Introduction and Site Characterization (PDF) (24 pp, 1.5MB)
- Site Characterization Activities (PDF) (18 pp, 108K)
- Investigation Observation and Results (PDF) (22 pp, 247K)
- Fate and Transport (PDF) (7pp, 68K)
- Summary and Conclustions, References (PDF) (4 pp, 51K)
- Figures (PDF) (42 pp, 67.2MB)
- Tables (PDF) (98 pp, 1.3MB)
- Sheets (PDF) (3 pp, 1.7MB)
- Feasibility Study - Revision 1 (May 31, 2011)
- Introduction (PDF) (18 pp, 1.2MB)
- Development of Remedial Action Objectives (PDF) (5 pp, 3.6MB)
- Development and Screening of Technologies (PDF) (3 pp, 3.5MB)
- Detailed Analysis of Remedial Alternatives (PDF) (18 pp, 402K)
- Comparative Analysis of Remedial Alternatives and References (PDF) (8pp, 3.5MB)
- Figures and Tables (PDF) (20 pp, 23.4MB)
- Appendix A and B (PDF) (47 pp, 5.7MB)
- Appendix C and D (PDF) (185 pp, 7.2MB)
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (15 pp, 382K) August 2007
- Remedial Investigation/ Feasibility Study Site Specific Work Plan, Rev 1 (PDF) (220 pp, 12.0MB) April 26, 2007
- Completion Report (PDF) (306 pp, 18MB) June 2006
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Studies (PDF) (89 pp, 8.8MB) April 2006