Ten-Mile Drain Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 619506
Remedial Project Manager
Colleen Moynihan (email@example.com)
312-353-8196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 38196
MDEQ Project ManagerContact
(where to view written records)
St. Clair Shores Public Library
22500 Eleven Mile Road
St. Clair Shores, Mich.
Fish Consumption Advisory
Michigan Department of Community Health has issued a “Do Not Eat” advisory for all fish taken from the Lange/Revere canals and carp and catfish caught in Lake St. Clair. In July 2011, fish samples were collected from Lake St. Clair from an area up to five miles north and four miles south of the 10 Mile/Lange/Revere canals. When that information is available, it will be presented to the public.
Preventing Exposure to PCBs (PDF) 2pg 150KB
The Ten-Mile Drain Site is located northeast of the City of Detroit and on the western shore of Lake St. Clair, Macomb County, Michigan. The geographical coordinates of the site are latitude 42°29'12" North and longitude -82°53'56" West. The site encompasses a several block area where polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) have been documented to be present in significant quantities in an underground storm sewer drain system. The ten-mile storm sewer system is approximately 15 feet underground and empties into two residential canal systems connected to Lake St. Clair. The area of concern for this site includes sewer lines in and around the intersection of Bon Brae Street and Harper Avenue in St Clair Shores, Mich., and other areas to be determined for further investigation and sampling. (more...)
Results from EPA sampling for April 2013 are highlighted in the source control activities results map. PCB contaminated oil was found at nine locations highlighted in green on the map. At each of these locations, an absorbent snare was used to swipe the bottom of the drain clean followed by the installation of a clean snare to soak up any additional oil. The locations highlighted in gold on the map shares the sediment sample results. Sediment was not sampled at each location because there is a small amount of sediment in the drain. NS indicates that there was no sediment to sample. An additional oil sample was taken at the location highlighted in orange.
- March 6, 2012: Open house and public meeting
- Late August 2011: EPA crews took sediment samples from the 10 Mile/Lang/Revere canals as part of the ongoing investigation into the Ten Mile Drain Superfund Site
- July 26, 2011: Open House and Public meeting to present proposed weir maintenance activities for review and public comment.
- April-May 2011: EPA took 90 samples in an effort to identify source of PCBs within Ten-Mile Drain system.
- April 2011: City of St. Clair Shores inspected absorbent snares and removed and replaced snares containing oil; clean absorbent snares placed at four weir locations.
- Feb. 26, 2011: PCB oil removed and absorbent snares placed at six weir locations with PCB contamination; absorbent snares soak up oil and further inhibit movement of contamination.
- May 2010: City of St. Clair Shores began monitoring weirs and periodically sampling behind weirs to keep track of sediment and PCB levels.
- Sept. 2010: Ten-Mile Drain site placed on National Priorities List, making it eligible for investigation and cleanup under Superfund Program.
- March-April 2010: EPA removed water from the drain and installed 15 weirs (small dams), bringing total number of weirs to 17; removed PCB oil and PCB-contaminated sediment from within the drain.
National Priorities List (NPL) Status Update
In September 2010, the Ten-Mile Drain site was placed on the National Priorities List (NPL). The NPL is a roster of the nation's hazardous waste sites eligible for investigation and cleanup under EPA's Superfund program. The transfer of the site to EPA's remedial branch will allow for additional funding and resources.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Public Meeting on Temporary Cleanup Plan for Ten-Mile Drain Superfund Site - July 22, 2011
- EPA to Host Open Houses on Ten-Mile Drain Superfund Site in St. Clair Shores, Mich. - March 25, 2011
- EPA Invites Public To Meeting On Ten-Mile Drain Site - Aug. 23, 2010
- EPA begins new phase of St. Clair Shores drain cleanup - March 11, 2010
- EPA adds St. Louis, Mich., site to superfund national priorities list; Proposes St. Clair Shores site - March 3, 2010
- EPA completes 10-mile drain PCB containment liner; monitoring to continue - Sept. 20, 2006
- EPA Starts Next Phase of Sampling (PDF) (2pp, 79KB) March 2013
- EPA Discovers PCBs Under Manhole Vaults (PDF) (6pp, 1.0MB) February 2012
- EPA Proposes Interim Cleanup Plan for PCB Contamination (PDF) (8pp, 1.7MB) July 2011
- Sampling Project Planned To Find PCB Source (PDF) (4pp, 941K) March 2011
- Health Concerns and PCBs: Questions and Answers (PDF) (2pp, 70K) August 2010
- Additional Cleanup Work and Long-Term Study to Begin (PDF) (4pp, 335K) June 2010
- 2010 On-Scene Coordinator Pollution Reports
- 2006-2007 On-Scene Coordinator Pollution Reports
- Source Control Activities Results Map, March 2013 (PDF) (1pp 218KB)
- Ten-Mile Drain Lange and Revere Canals Sediment Sampling Report (PDF) (74pg, 4.77MB) June 2012
- Lange and Revere Street Canals Sediment Sampling Report (PDF) (74pg, 4.77MB) June 2012
- Source Control Activities Results Map (PDF) (1 pg, 218K) December 20, 2012
- Source Control Activities Results Map (PDF) (1 pg, 219K) November 20, 2012
- Source Control Activities Results Map (PDF) (1pp, 1.9MB) September 2012
- Oil and Sediment Results (PDF) (1pp, 454K) July 30, 2012
- Results from EPA sampling for April and May 2012 map (PDF) (1pp, 454K) June 2012
- 2011 source area investigation (PDF) (401pp, 8.2MB) January 2012
- Interim Record of Decision (FINAL) (PDF) (52pp, 2.3MB) September 2011
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (42pp, 657K) April 2011
- City of St. Clair Shores - Sampling/Monitoring updates 2011
- Removal Action Technical Direction Document (PDF) (290pp, 2.8MB) June 2011
- Hazard Ranking System Document (PDF) (41pp, 1MB) March 2011
- Site Inspection Report (PDF) (387pp, 50MB) December 2009 - - please request on CD-ROM from the Community Involvement Coordinator
- Public Meeting presentation (PDF) (31pp, 10.8MB) March 25, 2013
- Ten Mile Drain Site History Timeline (PDF) (10pp, 1MB) March 6, 2012
- Ten Mile Drain Site Public Meeting (PDF) (45pp, 3.81MB) March 6, 2012
- Ten Mile Drain Site Public Meeting (PDF) (22pp, 3.2MB) Aug. 26, 2010