Tremont City Barrel Fill Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Virginia Narsete (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-4359 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64359
Remedial Project Manager
Jena Sleboda Braun
(where to view written records)
Clark County Public Library
201 S. Fountain Ave.
Springfield, OH 45506
The Tremont City Barrel Fill site is an 8.5-acre section at the north end of the Tremont City Landfill. From 1976 to 1979 about 51,500 drums and 300,000 gallons of industrial waste were disposed of in waste cells or trenches that were dug 15- to 25-feet deep and covered with soil. A ground-water sampling program began with six monitoring wells, and over time more monitoring wells were added resulting in additional ground-water sampling.
EPA has negotiated with potentially responsible parties (PRPs) that the Agency believes are responsible for the barrel contamination. The PRPs agreed to perform in-depth studies to determine the nature and extent of the contamination and recommend cleanup alternatives. These studies were released in a large document called a "remedial investigation/feasibility study” under the Superfund Alternative Approach or SAA. Superfund Alternative Approach is one of the options for Superfund sites that need long-term cleanup. Read more about SAA in the Site Information box on the right.
The Tremont City Barrel Fill was part of the former Tremont City Landfill site, an 80-acre area located 3.5 miles northwest of Springfield, Ohio, and 1.5 miles west of Tremont City. In order to better manage cleanup projects, EPA divided the former Tremont City Landfill site into three smaller sections: the Tremont City Barrel Fill, the Tremont City Landfill, and the Tremont City Waste Transfer Facility.
A workgroup was convened that was mediated by a contractor to EPA's Conflict Prevention and Resolution Center, to discuss the issues where the various parties did not have the same understanding of the site facts. The workgroup had participants from USEPA and its USGS expert, Ohio EPA, Clark County Health Department, People for Safe Water, and the PRP group. The main issues discussed where the hydrogeology at the site and the cost estimates for the Feasibility Studies and Proposed Plans.
A community involvement plan (CIP) was completed June 2015. The detailed plan emphasized the comments from business, residents, environmental groups, public officials on their concerns about the cleanup. It also explained the remedy, Superfund process and other options to assist public in understanding the Superfund process and how U.S. EPA can best serve the residents I in the Clark County community. The CIP is available on the Tremont website for public review.
The USEPA, in cooperation with the Ohio EPA and Clark County Health Department and residents, will hold a meeting summer of 2015 update the community on the progress of the site.
See all Site Updates
- Excavation, New Waste Cell In Proposed Cleanup Plan - May 2011 (PDF) (8pp, 325K) May 2011
- Excavation, New Waste Cell In Proposed Cleanup Plan - June 2010 (PDF) (8pp, 424K) June 2010
- A Citizen's Guide to Soil Excavation (PDF) (2pp, 530K) December 2001
- A Citizen's Guide to Capping (PDF) (2pp, 526K) December 2001
- U.S. EPA Begins Phase III Investigation May 2001
- A Citizen's Guide to Thermal Desorption (PDF) (2pp, 65K) April 2001
- U.S. EPA Completes Initial Investigation October 2000
- U.S. EPA Begins Investigation at the Tremont City Landfill Site (PDF) (7pp, 241K) April 2000
- Revised Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (74p, 3.3MB) May 2015
- Tremont Barrel Fill Confirmatory Ground Water Sampling (PDF) (10pp, 1MB) December 2014
- Record of Decision (149pp, 8.71MB) September 2011
- Tables (21pp, 1.68MB)
- Table 15: Cleanup Goals (1p, 50K)
- Figures (14pp, 2.39MB)
- Appendix 1, Administrative Record (71pp, 2.09MB)
- Appendix 2, Responsiveness Summary, Alternative 4a (73pp, 4.25MB)
- Appendix 3, Responsiveness Summary, Alternative 9a (17pp, 977K)
- Excavation, New Waste Cell in Proposed Cleanup Plan (PDF) (14pp, 177K) May 2011
- Tremont City Feasibility Study Addendum No. 2 (PDF) (48pp, 2.6 MB) May 2011
- Tremont City Barrel Fill Proposed Cleanup Plan (PDF) (18pp, 646K) June 2010
- Tremont City Barrel Fill Approval with Modifications - February 10, 2010 (PDF) (8pp, 2.9MB) (regarding the April 2009 feasibility study addendum)
- Community Involvement Plan for Tremont City (PDF) (13pp, 218K) January 2009
- Tremont City Barrel Fill Approval with Modifications - November 25, 2008 (PDF) (12pp, 80K) (regarding the July 2008 feasibility study)
- Feasibility Study (PDF) (91pp, 4.8MB) July 2008
- Remedial Investigation (PDF) (172pp, 5.6MB) October 2006
- Tremont City Landfill map set (PDF) (6pp, 2.9MB)
- Support Sampling Plan Field Sampling Plan Quality Assuance Project Plan (PDF)(1617pp, 80MB) May 2003 Note: Large file size
- Second Amendment to the Support Sampling Plan for an Expanded Site Investigation (Phase III ESI) (PDF)(49pp, 1.91MB) May 2001
- Amendment to the Support Sampling Plan for an Expanded Site Investigation (PDF)(227pp, 7.8MB) Oct 2000
- Support Sampling Plan for an Expanded Site Investigation (PDF)(241pp, 14MB) Oct 2000
- Administrative Order By Consent, RI/FS (BARREL FILL OPERABLE UNIT) (PDF) (85pp, 2.1MB) October 2002
- US EPA Public hearing in the matter of: Tremont City Barrel Fill site proposed plan (PDF) (48pp, 150K) June 22, 2011
- Tremont City Barrel Fill Site meeting transcript (PDF) (73pp, 84K) June 2010