Jump to main content.


Background

The Valleycrest Landfill Site is roughly 100 acres, split into two sections by Valleycrest Drive. The eastern section is about 35 acres, and the western section about 65 acres. Formally listed at 950 Brandt Pike, the site is above the Great Miami Aquifer, which is the sole source of drinking water for the city of Dayton.

A residential neighborhood is just east and northeast of the site, and several individual homes are on the north. Valley Pike is to the southeast, along with some commercial and residential structures. To the southwest is the CSX railroad property and some residences. Several industrial facilities are on the west side, including the Brandt Pike petroleum terminals, Van Dyne Crotty Inc., an industrial cleaner facility and the Hotop demolition landfill.

Keystone Gravel Company of Dayton owns the site, running it as a sand and gravel quarry from before 1935 until the 1970s. It became a solid waste disposal site in 1966. Later, industrial waste – including drums full of hazardous waste – was put in the eastern section, known as Area 1. This practice continued until about 1970, when the western section, known as Area 5, was used for waste disposal. That continued until about 1975.

The site was placed on the National Priorities List in 1994. A year later, Ohio EPA Southwest District Office took charge of overseeing the studies on cleaning up the site, known as a Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study (RI/FS).

On September 10, 1998, a group of 10 companies signed a legal document called an administrative order on consent (AOC). The group took the name Valleycrest Drum Removal Action Group, or VDRAG. Its members include:

* Three group members – NCR, General Motors and Waste Management -- have formed the Valleycrest Removal Action Coalition, or VRAC, and will pay for the site cleanup.

Project Team


Local Navigation


Jump to main content.