Van Dale Junkyard Superfund Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Virginia Narsete (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-4359 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64359
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-1843 or 800-621-8431, ext. 61843
(where to view written records)
Washington County Public Library
615 Fifth St.
Marietta, Ohio 45750
Van Dale Junkyard is located on 10 acres within a 31-acre parcel of land and until 1980 received a variety of materials that included scrap metal, appliances, automobiles, tires, batteries, along with several thousand drums of industrial waste. Many of the contaminants identified at the site are listed in Common Chemicals Found at Superfund Sites.
Cleanup at the site included collecting contaminated soils, separating waste from soil, disposing wastes off-site, constructing a cap over soils and wastes, and installing fencing and property restrictions. Ground water, surface water, and sediment monitoring is part of long-term operation and maintenance at the site.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is conducting a five-year review of the Vandale Junkyard Superfund site at Marietta Township Road 83 in Washington County near Marietta, Ohio. The Superfund law requires regular checkups of sites that have been cleaned up – with waste managed on-site – to make sure the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the third five-year review of this site.
EPA’s cleanup of hazardous solid waste and contaminated soil consisted of disposing of hazardous waste off-site; capping contaminated soil and solid waste on-site; monitoring how natural processes such as decay and evaporation are cleaning up contaminated underground water supplies; monitoring sediment and surface water; restricting future uses of the property; and maintaining and inspecting the cap and the rest of the site. The review should be completed by February 2014.
The five-year review is an opportunity for you to tell U.S. EPA about site conditions and any concerns you have.
- Third Five Year Review (PDF) (335pp, 10.7MB) January 2014
- Second Five Year Review (PDF) (55pp, 1.8MB) February 2009
- First Five Year Review (PDF) (61pp, 883K) April 2004
- Groundwater Sampling and Analysis Report, Second Quarter 2008 (PDF) (480pp, 8.3MB)
- Record of Decision (PDF) (183pp, 3.4MB) March 1994
- Unilateral Administrative Order for Remedial Design and Remedial Action (PDF) (42pp, 588K) August 1994
- Administrative Order on Consent for the Remedial Investigation / Feasibility Study (PDF) (39pp, 909K) July 1987