Velsicol Chemical Corp. (Marshall Plant)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Patricia Krause (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-9506 or 800-621-8431, ext. 69506, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. CST
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-4746 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64746
(where to view written records)
Marshall Public Library
612 Archer Ave.
The former Velsicol Chemical Plant is located on 420 acres in east central Illinois, one mile north of the city of Marshall. The plant produced products derived from petroleum by-products and the pesticide, chlordane. EPA cancelled the use of chlordane and Velsicol stopped manufacturing operations at the Marshall plant in 1988. Ground water, sediment, and soil at the site are contaminated with volatile organic compounds and pesticides.
The cleanup plan selected included:
- Digging up contaminated sediments from a pond and soils from the plant production area
- Back filling areas with clean soil and vegetative covering
- Gathering removed material and treating through a chemical process
- Constructing ground water collection drains, disposing removed ground water to an on-site deep injection well or treating ground water before discharging off-site
- Monitoring ground water and surface cover conditions
- Operation and Maintenance of all cleanup systems
- Making sure land use and deed restrictions are enforced
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
April 2012 update
An Environmental Covenant (EC) (PDF) (19pp, 946K) was recorded for the former location of the Velsicol plant. The EC allows commercial and industrial activities on the former facility and removes existing restrictions on use of the Unnamed Tributary to East Mill Creek. The EC replaces the recorded deed restrictions in the 1989 Consent Decree. Addendum #4 (PDF) (3pp, 295K), institutional controls monitoring requirements, incorporates into the Operations & Maintenance plan for long-term monitoring.
- Addendum #4 (PDF) (3pp, 295K) September 2011
- Environmental Covenant (PDF) (19pp, 946K) November 2011
- Record of Decision (PDF) (47pp, 90K) September 1988
- Third five-year review (PDF) (29pp, 2.9MB) (September 2008)
- Second five-year review (PDF) (19pp, 88K) September 2003
- First five-year review (PDF) (4pp, 60K) September 1998