Waukegan Environmental Justice Revitalization Project
- Waukegan, Illinois (Lake County)
Although this is not a Superfund site, there are several Superfund sites associated with it:
- Johns-Manville Corp.
- North Shore Gas (NSG) North Plant Former MGP
- North Shore Gas (NSG) South Plant Former MGP
- Outboard Marine Corporation
- Yeoman Creek Landfill
Map of Superfund sites located in Waukegan, Ill. (PDF) (1 pg, 195 K) June 2014
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
Coalición Latinos Unidos de Lake County
Rosa Reyes Prosen
Waukegan Harbor Citizens Advisory Group (CAG)
City of Waukegan
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
(where to view written records)
Waukegan Public Library
128 North County Street
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5 and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced at a lakefront Earth Day ceremony that a Waukegan, Ill., revitalization project has been selected as an environmental justice demonstration project.
The Waukegan Cleanup and Revitalization project is one of 15 projects selected nationwide for the program. Selection for this project officially designates Waukegan as an environmental justice community which provides national recognition and exposure, greater access to resources and status as a model for future projects.
Using 2000 census data, the city of Waukegan qualifies as an environmental justice community due to the citys high percentage of low-income residents and its high percentage of minority residents. The census showed that Waukegans population is 44.8 percent Hispanic and 19.2 percent African-American. Waukegan has the highest increase in poverty rates in Lake County, rising to 13.9 percent in 1999 from 9.5 percent in 1989.
Project partners are the United Latino Coalition of Lake County, the city of Waukegan, the Waukegan Harbor Citizens Advisory Group, EPA and the Corps of Engineers. They have been working to ensure that all Waukegan communities can participate and share in the benefits of the revitalization process.
- Waukegan, Ill. Cleanup and Revitalization Plan (PDF) (2pp, 33K) April 2003
- Letter announcing the project's selection as an IWG Environmental Justice Revitalization Project (PDF) (1pg, 60K) March 2003
- Federal Interagency Working Group on Environmental Justice: Environmental Justice Revitalization Projects (PDF) Federal Register Notice, April 24, 2002 (8pp, 136K)