Wausau Ground Water Contamination
- Wausau, WI (Marathon County)
- EPA ID#WID980993521
- Alias(es): Wausau Water Supply
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Sheri Bianchin (email@example.com)
or 800-621-8431, ext. 4745
(where to view written records)
Marathon County Public Library
300 North First Street
Wausau, WI 54403
The Wausau groundwater site, located in the northern section of the city of Wausau, potentially affects six of the city’s production wells. The wells provide drinking water for about 35,000 people on both sides of the Wisconsin River.
In 1982, three of the wells were found to be contaminated with high levels of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. In 1984, a temporary carbon filter system was installed on one of the wells until two air strippers were installed. There are two sources associated with contamination. The first source is an old municipal landfill, located south of City Well Six on the Marathon Electric property along the west bank of the Wisconsin River. The second source is on the Wausau Chemical facility property, located southwest of City Well Three along the east bank of the river. Contaminated soil at both areas were treated and capped.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA is doing a status review of the cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. This is the fifth five-year review. Contact the site community involvement coordinator and/or the remedial project manager to provide input on this review process.
- An evaluation of background information
- A summary of cleanup requirements
- A report on the effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
A report, which will be available by April 2015, will detail the site's progress.
A pilot study is also ongoing to determine if one of the extraction wells is still necessary, monitoring and maintenance plans are being prepared, and land and groundwater-use restrictions are being reviewed.
- Record of Decision (PDF) (48p, 77K) Sept 1989
- Proposed Plan for Remedial Action (PDF) (18p, 646K)
- Proposed Plan for Remedial Action (PDF) (12p, 49K) December, 1988
- Record of Decision(PDF) (23p, 49K) December, 1988
Five Year Reviews
- Fourth Five Year Review (PDF) (127pp, 5.2MB) April 2010
- Third Five Year Review(PDF) (17pp, 207K) June 2005
- Second Five Year Review(PDF)(10pp, 101K) July 2000
- First Five Year Review(PDF)(7pp, 93K) August 1996