K&L Avenue Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
312-886-0725 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60725
Remedial Project Manager
Walelign Wagaw (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MDEQ Remediation and Redevelopment Division
(where to view written records)
Kalamazoo Public Library, Oshtemo Branch
7265 W. Main Street
The K&L Avenue Landfill is a former sanitary landfill in Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo, Michigan. The site served as a local garbage dump for the Township from the 1960s until 1968, when it became the county sanitary landfill. Approximately five million cubic yards of solid waste were disposed at the site. The landfill was closed in 1979, after contaminants were found in residential wells.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA made a change – called an Explanation of Significant Differences, or ESD – to the cleanup decision for the West KL site.
Periodic sampling of private wells will continue. If contamination is found in any drinking water well samples, EPA and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality will act quickly to resolve the problem, which may require closing contaminated private water wells and connecting residences to the municipal water supply.
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (15pp, 2MB) June 2014
- Landfill Cap Construction will Resume in Spring (PDF) (2pp, 140K) March 2006
- Landfill Cap Project Begins this Fall (PDF) (2pp, 125K) August 2005
- Proposed Changes Let Natural Processes Clean Pollution (PDF) (8pp, 323K) April 2005
- EPA Proposes Change to Cleanup Plan (PDF) (10pp, 369K) September 2002
- Update Fact Sheet (PDF) (4pp, 205K) October 2001
- EPA Answers Questions Most Often Asked by Residents (PDF) (8pp, 347K) December 1999
- Crews Installing City Water to Residents Affected by Ground Water Contamination (PDF) (4pp, 257K) August 1999
- EPA held an open house on May 14, 2014, to answer questions about the proposed changes to the site cleanup.
- EPA held a public meeting on April 20, 2005 to accept oral and written comments about proposed changes to the cleanup plan for the West KL Avenue Landfill site.
- EPA held an open house on November 12, 2003, to answer questions about the site cleanup, including the extension of the municipal water systems to homes affected by the landfill.
- Availability Session November 28, 2001