Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
312-886-6150 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66150
(where to view written records)
Hedberg Public Library
316 S. Main St.
The Wheeler Pit site, located at County Trunk Highways O and J in LaPrairie Township, Rock County, Wisconsin, is a 3.75-acre former disposal area. It lies within a 35-acre abandoned, unlined gravel pit. Wheeler Pit originally was mined for sand and gravel by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, and Pacific Railroad Co. In 1956, General Motors Corp. leased a four-acre portion of the pit for waste disposal. GMC also used it to dispose of paint and waste water sludges from its Janesville auto assembly plant as well as coal ashes from power plant boilers. The sludge and ash were contained by a dike at the pit.
In 1971, a liquid was found seeping on the ground from the GMC disposal area. Disposal at Wheeler Pit stopped in 1974, and it was covered at the request of La Prairie Township. From 1974 to 1988, the site was monitored intermittently for ground water contamination from arsenic, chromium, zinc, and barium.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the site's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
The review found that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment. The next scheduled review will be in 2017.
- Investigation Completed (PDF) (4pp, 339K) April 1990
- Long-Term Investigation Planned (PDF) (6pp, 444K) July 1998
- Update of Investigation (PDF) (3pp, 154K) September 1989
- Proposed Plan for Remedial Action (PDF) (38pp, 1.5MB) July 1990
- Transcript of Public Meeting (PDF) (58pp, 978K) August 1990
- Public Health Assessment
- Remedial Invetigation Report Part 1(PDF) (255pp, 7.78MB) December 1989
- Remedial Invetigation Report Part 2(PDF) (317pp, 7.78MB) December 1989
- Feasibitility Study (PDF) (226pp, 7.3MB) May 1990
- Record of Decision (PDF) (29pp, 65K) September 1990
- Fourth five-year review (PDF) (128pp, 6.6MB) September 2012
- Third five-year review (PDF) (50pp, 1.7MB) September 2007
- Second five-year review (PDF) (22pp, 210KB) September 2002
- First five-year review (PDF) (6pp, 85K) April 1997
- Administrative Order by Consent (PDF) (52pp, 1.7MB) January 1987