U.S. EPA REGION 5
Congressional District # 09
J & L LANDFILLEPA ID# MID980609440
Last Updated: September, 2014
Site DescriptionThe J & L Landfill site, located in Rochester Hills, Michigan, is a 17-acre site, which was mined for sand and gravel for some time before 1951. From 1951 to 1980, slags from steel manufacturing processes, dust from electric arc furnace operations, and other wastes were deposited into this gravel pit before it was filled to grade and closed in 1980. In 1976, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources conducted a study and identified high levels of contaminated groundwater. Land use in the area includes: residential, industrial, recreational, land filling, and mining. The site is bordered on the east, west, and north by landfills. Six other landfills are within one-half mile of the site. The site is one mile west of the Clinton River, and a sediment pond is located in the northwest corner of the site. Surface water drainage from the area flows primarily to the northeast toward the Clinton River. Residential areas are 500 feet south of the site boundary, 1,000 feet northwest, and 600 feet east. The population within a one mile radius is approximately 1,550 with a trailer park 0.1 miles southeast of the site. The state recreation area is approximately 0.5 miles northeast of the site.
This site is being addressed through federal, state, and potentially responsible parties' actions.
Threats and ContaminantsBenzene, 4,4'-DDT, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, chloroform, methylene chloride, and trichloroethane were some of the volatile organic compounds (VOCs), semi-VOCs and pesticides that were found in the groundwater during the Remedial Investigation (RI), finalized on December 30, 1991. Substances such as arsenic, mercury, cyanide, lead, and chromium were identified during the investigation as some of the inorganics which were present in the groundwater and soil.
Cleanup ProgressIn 1982, local residents were provided with an alternate drinking water supply by the state as a precaution to exposure to groundwater contaminants in the area. On December 30, 1991, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) finalized its RI of the site. On January 14, 1994, U.S. EPA completed the study of potential actions to remedy contamination at the site. On June 30, 1994, a Record of Decision, addressing site soil contamination concerns, both organic and inorganic, was completed and signed. On June 27, 1995, U.S. EPA issued a Unilateral Administrative Order, ordering the potentially responsible parties (PRPs) to implement the RA selected. The PRPs began constructing the remedies to address the soil component of the selected RA on June 17, 1996, while the state and U.S. EPA provide oversight. Implementation of design and construction was performed as accelerated projects to expedite site clean up. Construction activities to address the soil contamination issues were completed in summer 1997. A "No Action" Record of Decision was signed on September 30, 1997, documenting that no action was required to address the groundwater. A water supply survey was completed during 2000 to locate potential candidates for public water hook-up. A five-year review was signed on September 10, 2001, and found that the remedy remains protective of human health and the environment. A public water supply extension was completed in August 2002. LTV Steel, the only PRP at the J&L Landfill Site, completed bankruptcy court procedures in August 2003. Based on the bankruptcy, USEPA received a cash settlement to continue work on the Site operation and maintenance program. A second five-year review was completed in August 2006. A thrid five-year review was completed and signed on June 1, 2011. Upgrades and maintenance to the Site cap and replacement of a monitoring well took place in 2014.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
jeffrey gore (email@example.com)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA
AliasesAVON TWP LDFL AKA J & L SITE
J & L LDFL