Congressional District # 06
ORMET CORP.EPA ID# OHD004379970
Last Updated: August, 2010
The Ormet Corp. facility, located along the Ohio River in Monroe County, Ohio, is an aluminum processing plant that began operating in 1958. Between 1958 and 1968, about 85,000 tons of spent potliner material from the reduction plant were stored in an unlined open storage area to the east of the plant. The spent potliner was also placed in an unlined landfill adjacent to the Ohio River and to the east of the plant.
At the time of the remedial investigation, about 1500 people lived within a three-mile radius of the site. Over 3,000 employees of Ormet Corp. and the nearby aluminum rolling mill plant to the west, which was subsequently purchased by Ormet, obtained drinking water from a Ranney well that is about 2,000 feet from the reduction plant on the rolling mill property.
There are two interceptor wells, installed by Ormet in 1973, which extract contaminated groundwater before it reaches the process water well on the reduction plant property. This contaminated groundwater is sent to an on-site treatment plant.
The rolling mill equipment has been sold and moved and then the property was sold. The potlines at the reduction plant were shut down during the bankruptcy proceedings that ended in April 2005; Ormet has now restarted all six potlines, completing this in December 2007.
Ormet had about 1000 employees in January 2008, most at the Hannibal facility. Potable water for the reduction plant is now obtained from a local water company; the Ranney well at the rolling mill that had been supplying this water has been shut down. The estimated population of Monroe County in 2007 was about 14,000; this population has been decreasing.
Site ResponsibilityThis site is being addressed through federal, state, and potentially responsible party (PRP) actions.
Threats and ContaminantsThe groundwater is contaminated with cyanide, fluoride, arsenic and manganese. The soils and sediments in a backwater area were contaminated with cyanide, fluoride and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). Groundwater migration is controlled by a pump-and-treat system. The contaminated sediments and some of the contaminated soils were removed and placed in an on-site landfill, which was capped. Other contaminated soils are being treated by in-situ soil flushing.
Cleanup ProgressA remedial investigation and feasibility study (RI/FS) was completed in September 1994. A Record of Decision (ROD) was issued on September 12, 1994 and an Explanation of Significant Differences was issued on April 1, 1997 that specify the remedy for the site.
The Consent Decree between the United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) and Ormet Corp. for design and construction was entered with the court on December 18, 1995. Ormet has completed the remedial design and the construction of the remedy. A Preliminary Close-Out Report documenting completion of construction was signed on August 4, 1998. The remedy included:
- Excavation of PCB contaminated soils and sediment and placement in a Toxic Substance Control Act cell built inside the on-site landfill.
- Capping of the landfill.
- Installation of a flushing system on the former spent potliner storage area.
- Continuation of the extraction and treatment of the contaminated groundwater from beneath the site.
- Long-term monitoring and maintenance of the site and placement of institutional controls.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
bernard schorle (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA