EPA's Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) program deals with solid waste (e.g., garbage), hazardous waste and underground storage tanks. The RCRA regulations are intended to ensure proper operation of solid waste landfills and underground storage tank systems, cleanup of certain hazardous waste sites, and safe operation of facilities that generate, treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste.
Interim Resource Guide: Greener Cleanups through Sustainable Materials Management
This resource guide, released by Region 5 in May 2001, will help you find opportunities to: (more...)
Solid Waste Topics
The Region 5 Solid Waste program promotes waste prevention, reuse and recycling of non-hazardous solid waste. We also work closely with our partners, including State agencies, Indian Tribes, local governments, universities and citizen groups, to solve municipal solid waste generation and management problems.
- Construction and Demolition Debris and its relation to Brownfields redevelopment
- Disaster Debris Management
- Disposal (landfills)
- eCycling (electronics recycling)
- Funding - EPA provides grant funding to government agencies and non-profit organizations to promote waste reduction and the safe and effective solid waste management.
- Pollution Prevention
- Recycling resources in Region 5 states
- Scrap Tires
- Tribal Solid Waste and Pollution Prevention and Federal Resource Guide for Tribal Waste Management
- see also Waste Minimization
Hazardous Waste Topics
- Compliance Assistance
- Corrective Action - RCRA compels those responsible for releasing hazardous pollutants into the soil, water, or air to clean up those releases.
- RCRA Corrective Action Cleanup Sites
- EPA and state Corrective Action contacts
- Sites with Federal Environmental Determinations for Individual Facilities - (EI Determination Documents)
- Greener Cleanups
- Guidance Documents
- Reports - Information for all sites (State & Federal) from the National RCRA Database (RCRAInfo)
- RCRA Data - RCRAInfo Reports: Comprehensive Permitting Report, Detailed Corrective Action Report, Single Line Handler Reports
- State contacts for notification of hazardous waste activity site ID forms - RCRA notification forms 8700-12, 8700-23
- Used Oil
- Waste Minimization - working to reduce the amount, toxicity, and persistence of wastes that are generated.
Underground Storage and Leaking Underground Tanks (UST/LUST)
- UST/LUST home
- Leaking Underground Storage Tanks - focus on corrective action measures
- Petroleum Brownfields
- Underground Storage Tanks - focus on preventive measures
- Cleanup sites - Public Involvement and Participation for RCRA and PCB Programs
- Public Participation on Permit and Corrective Action Activities
- RCRA Federal Determinations - Cleanup sites with Federal Environmental Determinations for individual facilities - (EI Determination Documents)
State and Tribal Partnerships
- State Program Authorization Under RCRA Subtitle C
- Tribal Solid Waste and Pollution Prevention - Tribe and Grant Program
- Federal Resource Guide for Tribal Integrated Waste Management