For questions about the
proposed designation of Mahomet
Aquifer as a sole source of drinking
EPA Region 5 (WG-15J)
77 W. Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604
Mahomet Sole Source Aquifer Has Received EPA Designation
On March 11, 2015 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency designated a portion of the Mahomet Aquifer system as a sole source aquifer. More than half of the population in east-central Illinois relies on the Mahomet Aquifer system as a source of drinking water.
The Safe Drinking Water Act gives EPA authority to designate all or part of an aquifer as a "sole source" if contamination of the aquifer would create a significant hazard to public health and there are no physically available or economically feasible alternative sources of drinking water to serve the population that relies on the aquifer. The designation authorizes EPA review of projects that receive Federal financial assistance to assess potential for contamination of the aquifer system that would create a significant hazard to public health.
EPA has prepared a Responsiveness Summary which addresses comments and answers questions. The decision goes into effect when it is published in the Federal Register.
The Responsiveness Summary (PDF)(8pp, 489K) and other relevant documents will be available to the public at
- EPA’s regional office, 77 W. Jackson Blvd., Chicago
- Champaign Public Library, 200 W. Green St., Champaign
- Bloomington Public Library, 205 E. Olive St., Bloomington
- Pekin Public Library, 301 S. Fourth St., Pekin
- Havana Public Library, 201 W. Adams St., Havana
- Watseka Public Library, 201 S. 4th St., Watseka
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Press release: EPA Designates Mahomet Aquifer as "Sole Source" of Drinking Water in East-Central Illinois March 11, 2015
- Final Mahomet Sole Source Aquifer Project Review Area Map (PDF) (1 pg, 8.5" x 14", 1.3MB)
- Support Document with Errata Sheet (PDF) (15pp, 493K)
- Responsiveness Summary (PDF)(8pp, 489K)
- Mahomet Sole Source Aquifer Designation Document Reference List (PDF) (11pp, 141K)
- Federal Register Notice (PDF)(2pp, 174K)