U.S. Steel Gary Works
- Gary, IN (Lake County)
Community Involvement Coordinator
Mike Joyce (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-5546 or 800-621-8431, ext. 35546
312-353-0618 or 800-621-8431
David Soong (email@example.com)
312-886-0136 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60136
(where to view written records)
Gary Public Library
220 W. 5th St.
US EPA Region 5 Office
Chicago, IL (contact David Soong to make an appointment)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency held a public hearing to obtain comments on its objections to a draft National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit under the Clean Water Act developed by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM). Comments were also accepted on aspects of the draft permit not addressed by EPA's objections.
The draft permit is for the U.S. Steel Corp. Gary Works, One N. Broadway, Gary, IN, to discharge into Lake Michigan, Grand Calumet River and Stockton Pond. The facility is the largest fully integrated steel mill in the U.S. It can produce over 8 million tons of raw steel per year. Intermediate and final products include coke, sinter, iron, raw steel, cast steel, plate, hot strip, cold rolled strip and coated steels. IDEM issued a public notice on the permit July 4, 2007, and held two public meetings Aug. 1 and Sept. 26, 2007.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Withdraws Objections to U.S. Steel Water Permit Oct. 15, 2009
- U.S. Steel quarterly public meeting slated March 31 Mar. 24, 2009
- EPA hearing on draft U.S. Steel Permit set for Dec. 11 in Gary Nov. 8, 2007
- EPA to hold public hearing on U.S. Steel draft permit Nov. 1, 2007
- EPA Withdraws Objections to Steel Plant Water Permit, October, 2009 (PDF) (2pp., 38K)
- EPA Lists Objections to Steel Plant Water Permit, December, 2007 (PDF) (2pp., 75K)
EPA's Letters on proposed permit for US Steel Gary Works
- Letter to Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) Withdrawing EPA Objection to IDEM Draft Permit for US Steel Gary Works - October 15, 2009 (PDF) (2pp, 24K)
- Enclosure - Explanation for Withdrawal of U.S. Steel Permit Objections - October 15, 2009 (PDF) (7pp, 41K)
- Response to Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) Draft Permit for US Steel Gary Works - October 16, 2007 (PDF) (3pp, 188K)
- Response to IDEM Draft Permit for US Steel Gary Works - October 1, 2007 (PDF) (3pp, 190K)
- Response to Comments on EPA’s Objection to Draft NPDES Permit for U.S. Steel - October 15, 2009 (PDF) (40pp, 179K)
- Alliance for the Great Lakes comments on the NPDES permit no. IN0000281, October 1, 2007 (PDF) (8pp, 1.6MB)
- Online Comments to the US Steel Permit (101 pp., 237KB)
- Mailed, Faxed or Other Comment Submissions, Part 1 (PDF) (96pp., 9.5MB)
- Mailed, Faxed or Other Comment Submissions, Part 2 (PDF) (63pp, 4.6MB)
- Natural Resources Defense Council Environmental Law and Policy Center: Comments on the IDEM 2007 Draft NPDES Permit for U.S. Steel - Gary, IN, Permit No. IN 0000281 (PDF) (88pp., 1.6MB)
- Public hearings were held Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at Indiana University Northwest in Gary. Written and oral comments were accepted following a brief presentation by EPA.
- Transcript of public hearings (PDF) (69pp, 495K)
- Comments on EPA's objections were accepted from Nov. 9 - Dec. 28, 2007
National: NPDES Permit Program Basics | Where You Live | Municipalities and Wastewater Treatment | Municipal Biosolids | Combined Sewer Overflows | Sanitary Sewer Overflows | Industrial and Commercial Facilities | Industrial Pretreatment | Stormwater | Agriculture | Animal Feeding Operations | Decentralized Treatment Systems (Septic Systems)