Underground Injection Control (UIC)
The UIC program works where you live to ensure that the underground disposal of wastes through injection wells is done safely and does not endanger drinking water sources.
- Region 5 UIC Public Notices
- UIC Permit Applications Received in Region 5
- Contact Region 5 or a state agency
- Sign up to a UIC mailing list for notice of pending actions on EPA permitting of underground injection wells in Region 5.
Recent UIC Well Actions
- EPA's plans to re-issue Martin Marietta Magnesia Specialties, LLC's two Class V injection well permits in Mason County, Mich.
- EPA Region 5 has issued written approval to Environmental Geo-Technologies (EGT) giving authorization to inject waste into two Class I wells (November 12, 2013).
- Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) of Decatur, IL - ADM has submitted an application for a Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration well. (July 2011)
- Christian County Generation, LLC of Taylorville, IL - Christian County Generation, LLC of Taylorville, IL withdrew its applications for two Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration wells for the Taylorville Energy Center on July 9, 2013.
- Haystead #9, West Bay Exploration Co. - EPA posts transcript from public hearing for West Bay Exploration Co.’s request for a permit for the Haystead #9 SWD injection well near Brooklyn, Mich.
- West Bay Class II Injection Well - EPA is withdrawing the final permit issued for the West Bay #22 well. EPA will prepare a new draft permit for this well. EPA is taking this action under 40 CFR 124.19(j) which allows EPA to withdraw a permit and prepare a new draft permit before a certain stage of the permit appeal proceedings.
- FutureGen 2.0 of Jacksonville, IL – The FutureGen Alliance has submitted applications for four Class VI carbon dioxide (CO2) sequestration wells (March 2013)
Injection Well Practices
- Underground Injection Wells in Region 5
- Hydraulic Fracturing
- Carbon Sequestration
- Aquifer Recharge & Aquifer Storage and Recovery
- Class V Wells
- Controlling Injection Wells on Tribal Lands
- Technical Information, Forms, & Sample Documents (includes Guidance; Training Tools; Permitting Documents)
- Ensure Your Well Has Adequate Financial Assurance
- Motor Vehicle Waste Disposal Well Closure Initiative
- Testing Your Well for Mechanical Integrity
- Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Requests
- Frequently Asked Questions About the UIC Program
- Glossary of UIC Terms
- Regional UIC Environmental Appeals Board Decisions
- Regional Land Ban Exemptions From Hazardous Waste Disposal Restrictions
- National Technical Workgroup