West Bay Class II Injection Well MI-075-2D-0009
For information on this permit application
312-886-1998 or 800-621-8431, ext. 61998
(where to view written records)
Jackson District Library
244 West Michigan
West Bay Exploration Company of Traverse City, Michigan, applied for a permit to operate a Class II injection well for noncommercial brine disposal. The company wants to dispose of brine deep beneath the earth’s surface. EPA calls this a Class II non-hazardous brine disposal well. Class II wells are typically used to inject fluids that result from oil and gas production into the ground. There are about 144,000 Class II wells in the United States. About 20 percent are known to be used for brine disposal.
EPA is withdrawing the final permit issued for the West Bay #22 well. EPA will prepare a new draft permit for this well. EPA is taking this action under 40 CFR 124.19(j) which allows EPA to withdraw a permit and prepare a new draft permit before a certain stage of the permit appeal proceedings.
West Bay Exploration Company
Permit Number: MI-075-2d-0009
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed and posted the Response to Public Comments (PDF) (28pp, 207K)
- EPA Response to Comments on draft permit (PDF) (28pp, 207K) February 2012
- Transcript of Public Hearing (PDF) (36pp, 825K) May 23, 2012
- Fact Sheet - Permit Process Reopened for Underground Injection Well (2pp, 108K) May 2012
- Public Notice (PDF) (20pp, 333K) January 2012
- Statement of Basis for UIC Permit MI-075-2d-0009 (41pp, 414K) February 8, 2012
Overview of UIC Permitting Process
The flowchart below shows the main steps that EPA follows to process a permit application from start to finish.
- Receive the permit application. April 2011
- Conduct a completeness review and technical evaluation. April 2011 - December 2011
- Make a draft decision, announce the draft decision and public comment period and accept public input by mail and at public hearing. December 2011 - May 2012
- Prepare responses to public comments. May 2012 - November 2012
- Issue final decision and distribute responses to public comments. November 2012
- If the final decision is appealed, process the appeal.