EPA's Region 6 Office
Serving: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and 66 Tribal Nations
Laboratory Quick Finder
- ESB Laboratory Home
- About ESB Laboratory
- Analytical Capabilities
- Bioassay Laboratory
- Contract Laboratory Program (CLP )
- EMS at the ESB Laboratory
- External Laboratory Oversight Section
- Inorganic Analysis Team
- Laboratory Analysis Section
- Laboratory Support Team
- Mobile Laboratory
- Organic Analysis Team
- Papers and Publications
- State Laboratory Certification
- Test Methods
In 2003, Management Division’s Environmental Services Branch purchased a mobile laboratory to enhance the region’s analytical options in the field.
A 5th wheel designed laboratory trailer, 30 ft. in length and 8.25 ft. wide, the mobile lab has the following features: satellite communication,on-board power generator,air conditioning system, refrigerator,and extensive cabinetry.
It is designed to accommodate modern analytical instrumentation. Based at the Regional Laboratory in Houston, TX, the mobile lab has been delployed in the field for Disaster Support,Enforcement, NPDES,RCRA, and Drinking Water analyses, and is available upon request for support of all programs.
The Mobile Laboratory is very versitle and offers capabilities such as:
|♦ On-Site Support||♦ Rapid Screening Capability||♦ Resource Efficient||♦ Faster Results||♦ Cost Efficient|
|Travel within Region 6||Multiple instrumentation||
Outfitted for specific needs.
|Screening methods are streamlined for quicker turnaround.||Eliminates unnecessary samples for full fixed lab analysis.|
|♦ Volatiles (VOAs)||♦ Portable GC and GC/MS||♦ Microbiology||♦ Sample Staging Area||♦ Satellite Communication w/ WiFi|
|- Direct air or headspace||Total + Fecal Coliform (full Coliert testing)|
Control measures are in place to insure data quality. The Region 6 Lab in Houston serves as the base of operations and is able to provide confirmation analysis. Chemists currently at the lab are qualified to staff the unit.
Uses of the unit includes:
- Superfund site characterization and/or remediation
- Real – time analysis at remote public water supply sites
- Regional enforcement activities
- Homeland Security activities
Installed generators supply the necessary electricity. Heating and air-conditioning allow for year round use. Except for certain consumables, the unit is self-sufficient.
In addition to analytical equipment, the unit has:
- Mounting bracket for snorkel to allow air sampling/analysis while mobile
- Mounting bracket for weather station to measure wind speed, direction, ambient temperature, and humidity
- Mounting bracket for a satellite dish for data transfer to the Regional Lab/Office
The unit was deployed during Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita responses.