EPA's Region 6 Office
Serving: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and 66 Tribal Nations
41-acre site in Union County, Arkansas, about ¾ mile south of El Dorado City Limits. The property is bordered by South West Avenue on the west, Ouachita Railroad (East Camden & Highland Railroad) on the east, and Bayou de Loutre on the north.
No drinking water wells located within ½ mile of the site. Residential, industrial, and commercial properties surround the site. Surface drainage is to Bayou de Loutre.
Shallow groundwater (20 feet deep) within the county is used primarily for livestock and irrigation. Deep aquifer (500 to 600 feet deep) wells more than 3 miles from the site, provide drinking water to more than 26,000 residents. These wells draw from a much deeper ground water zone than the shallow zone.
Current Site Strategy
The current site strategy is to protect human health and the environment by controlling the migration of contaminants in shallow groundwater to reduce and/or eliminate the potential for contaminating deeper aquifers, or migrating to the Bayou.
- Direct contact with soils.
- Ingestion of ground or surface water.
Record of Decision
The Record of Decision (ROD) was signed on February 20, 1993. ROD Contaminants of Concern (COCs) are:
- Pentachlorophenol (PCP).
- Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) including: benzo(a)pyrene, dibenz(a,h)anthracene, benzo(a)anthracene, benzo(b)fluoranthene, benzo(k)fluoranthene, chrysene, and indeno(1,2,3-cd)pyrene.
- "In situ" (i.e., in-place) treatment of contaminated groundwater and extraction of free products.
- On site biological treatment of contaminated soils and sludge by landfarm.
- Community Involvement Plan: 06/92
- Open Houses and Workshops: 02/92, 07/92, 08/92, 09/92, 05/93, 09/97
- Original ROD Fact Sheet: 02/93
- Milestone Fact Sheets: 06/92, 02/93, 05/93
- Citizens on Site Mailing List: 172
Barton Public Library, El Dorado, Arkansas
- USEPA, 1999. "Groundwater Model Study of Natural Attenuation - Popile, Inc. Superfund Site, El Dorado, Arkansas", Prepared by Morrison Knudsen Corporation for US Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District, May.
- USEPA, 1999. "Data Collection Summary Report for Phase II Remedial Design Groundwater Investigation - Popile, Inc. Superfund Site, El Dorado, Arkansas", Prepared by Morrison Knudsen Corporation for US Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District. February.
- USACE, 1999. "Bioremediation Treatability Study for Remedial Action at Popile, Inc. Superfund Site, El Dorado, Arkansas", Phase II. Pilot-Scale Evaluation.
- USACE, 1997. "SCAPS Investigation Report - Popile, Inc. Superfund Site, El Dorado, Arkansas", November.
- USEPA, 1993. "Record of Decision Declaration and Record of Decision Summary for the Popile, Inc. Site, El Dorado, Arkansas", February.
- USEPA, 1992. "Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study for the Popile, Inc. Superfund Site, El Dorado, Arkansas", Prepared by CDM Federal Programs Corporation, June.