Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

EPA's Region 6 Office

Serving: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and 66 Tribal Nations

Targeted Brownfields Assessments

What is a Brownfield?

The Brownfields Revitalization Act, signed by the President on January 11, 2002, defines Brownfields as “real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant or contaminant.”   The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Brownfields Program supports the cleanup and revitalization of brownfields in local communities.

What is a Targeted Brownfields Assessment?

A Target Brownfields Assessment (TBA) is a free service the EPA Region 6 Brownfields Team provides to communities to support their eligible brownfields projects.  The services include brownfield inventories, area-wide planning, site environmental assessments and investigations, and site cleanup planning.  The states located in Region 6 (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas) have similar programs to provide environmental assessment services. The TBA brochure provides more details.

Who Can Request a TBA?

Public (local units of governments), quasi-public (community development organizations), Tribal governments, and non-profit entities can request EPA TBA services. 

Privately-owned sites can be submitted as candidate sites, if the redevelopment will result in significant benefits to the general public.  Land owners (private or public) must voluntarily sign a site access consent agreement for TBA services to be provided.

How to Request a TBA?

You should first contact your local governmental agencies to determine whether a community-wide brownfields assessment grant exists in the area.  If a community-wide brownfields assessment grant recipient does not exist in the area or the grant recipient can not or chooses not to provide the requested assessment service, the respective state should be contacted next.  The State Brownfields Coordinators are listed below.   If the state cannot or chooses not to provide the assessment service, the site can then be referred to EPA Region 6. 

To request TBA services from the EPA Region 6 Brownfields Team, simply complete the R6 Request for TBA and the 2011 TBA Access Agreement forms. Click the "Submit by Email" button located at the top of the request form to submit. The Consent form will need to be scanned and emailed, or mailed to Mary Kemp, at the following address:.

Mary Kemp, Brownfields Program (6SF-VB)
U.S. EPA Region 6
1445 Ross Avenue, Suite 1200
Dallas, TX 75202

State Brownfields Coordinators


Terry Sligh
Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality exit disclaimer


Roger Gingles or Duane Wilson
Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality exit disclaimer


Pam Homer New Mexico Environment Department exit disclaimer


Lloyd Kirk
Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality exit disclaimer

Patricia Billingsley
Oklahoma Corporation Commission exit disclaimer


Christine Whitney (Hazardous Sites)
Texas Department of Environmental Quality exit disclaimer

Aimee Beveridge (Petroleum Sites)
Railroad Commission of Texas exit disclaimer


If you have questions about EPA’s TBA program, please contact Mary Kemp at 214-665-8358, kemp.mary@epa.gov.

EPA TBA Brochure (PDF, 2 pages, 433 KB) (About PDF)


Jump to main content.