Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

EPA's Region 6 Office

Serving: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and 66 Tribal Nations

About the Drinking Water Program

Drinking Water Q & A
  • In 1974, Congress passed the Safe Drinking Water Act that directed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish minimum drinking water standards.
  • The Act was amended in 1986, and in 1996 to enhance minium drinking water standards.
  • The EPA Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water set national health-based drinking water standards to protect the public from both naturally-occurring and man-made contaminants that may be found in drinking water.
  • The Drinking Water Section in EPA Region 6's Water Quality Protection Division has oversight responsibilities for the public water supply in Region 6 States and Tribes.
  • All Region 6 States: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, have primacy to implement the Safe Drinking Water Act (SWDA). The Drinking Water Section implements SDWA on the Tribal lands in Region 6.
  • The Drinking Water Section has a Drinking Water Coordinator for each Region 6 State. All Coordinators have an understanding of drinking water issues in their State. State Agencies and drinking water program managers can respond to specific questions and provide additional details about public water systems in their State.

  • Q: Who has the responsibility in my community for my drinking water?
    A: You can check your water bill or call your local public health department for information about the water utility that serves your community. Also, most larger cities in the U.S. have a public utilities office that can answer consumer questions.
  • Q: Where can I get information about violations at my drinking water system?
    A: Drinking water violations at your drinking water system are listed on EPA's website.
  • Q: Where can I get information about national drinking water standards?
    A: National health-based drinking water standards are listed on EPA's website.
  • Q: How can I get information about my drinking water from EPA, Region 6?
    A: You can contact Blake L. Atkins, Chief of the Drinking Water Section, at (214) 665-7155, who is responsible for oversight of the Region 6 State Drinking Water programs.

Back to Top

Back to Top

  • Q: Where do I get information related to water system security or homeland security?
    A: This information can be found at:
  • Q: Where can I obtain drinking water information on tribal lands?
    A: Information on the tribal source water assessment reports are available on the Region 6 website. Information on Tribal water construction and modification questions as well as other Tribal water system related questions can be obtained hereInformation on the tribal source water assessment reports are available on the Region 6 website. The following links also provide additional information:
  • Q: Where can I find information about Drinking Water Week?
    A: The American Water Works Association, an organization of drinking water professionals, has promoted Drinking Water Week Exit EPA Disclaimer for the past 30 years. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is participating as a member of the National Drinking Water Week Alliance. This group is responsible for heightening the awareness of drinking water issues during a week long observance, which always falls the first full week of May. This week is an annual time that water providers and their communities recognize the vital role of water in our daily life.

    The EPA has educational materials supporting this week. The EPA Region 6 Office promotes this awareness by participating in local activities to enhance this awareness to elementary through high school students.
  • Q: Where can I obtain additional information about drinking water?
    A: Additional information is available from many sources. Some excellent resources include the following:

Back to Top

Drinking Water     Ground Water     Underground Injection Control

Jump to main content.