Region 8

Class V UIC: Inventory FAQ and Form

Why was I sent a form?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Region 8 Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program is conducting an inventory of all businesses and government facilities that dispose of fluid wastes into the ground. In many areas of Colorado, Montana, and South Dakota, the ground water occurs within shallow alluvial aquifers or within fractured aquifers. When ground water occurs close to the surface, it is directly vulnerable to surface contamination from disposing of certain fluids through septic tanks, dry wells, french drains, or similar disposal systems. Hence, we believe that best management practices by commercial businesses and government facilities are necessary to maintain the quality of the ground water of future underground sources of drinking water..

Who receives Inventory Request Forms? Am I the only one?

All businesses and government facilities that potentially dispose of fluid wastes into the ground in the states of Colorado, Montana, and South Dakota are asked to fill out an inventory form. The UIC programs in North Dakota, Wyoming and Utah are run by their respective state programs, which also conduct inventory surveys to identify Class V wells. In the calendar year of 2003, EPA Region 8 has sent out over 3000 inventory forms to facilities in Colorado, Montana, and South Dakota.

Why do I need to fill it out?

The inventory form helps EPA determine facilities that may have a Class V shallow waste disposal system/well and eliminate those that are not in our program. Under title 40 Code of Federal Register (40 CFR) §144.26 and §144.83, owners or operators of shallow waste disposal systems/wells are required to provide basic "inventory information" to us.

This form is not applicable to me. Do I still have to fill it out and mail it back?

If you do not believe the form is applicable to you, EPA asks that you fill out Sections I and III (including your signature), state the reason(s) why this form does not apply, and return the form. However, if you are operating a Class V shallow waste disposal system/well, you are required to fill out all three sections of the form.

What if I lease this facility/space?

The operator of the business is responsible for submitting the information for the facility. If you are uncertain about the required information, contact the owner of the facility.

What if the form was mailed to my place of residence?

If your business is conducted at another location other than your residence, provide the information for that alternate site.

If you work out of your home, are not on city sewer, and you generate wastes from your business in or around floor drains that discharge underground (e.g., via a septic system), you are likely operating a Class V shallow waste disposal system/well and should fill out the form.

What if I have more than one facility?

If you have more than one location, please copy the form, fill out the required information for each individual facility and return all forms to the EPA.

What if the sanitary waste (i.e. bathroom) goes to the public sewer, but there are floor drains in the garage or maintenance/shop area not connected to the sewer?

You must fill out the inventory request form for the garage or maintenance/shop area not connected to the city sewer.

I have a floor drain, but I never use it.

Please fill out the form, answering "yes" to the question on floor drains, sign and return the form to the EPA.

What is a dry shop?

A dry shop means that your facility has NO connection to running water (i.e. bathroom, sink, connection for hose) and no means for fluids to leave the facility via a floor drain or any other piping.

Who do I send the form to or if I'd like to talk to someone?

Click here for a list of contacts.

How do I get another copy of the Inventory Form?

You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.