Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Brownfields Cleanup & Redevelopment
in the Pacific Southwest
SMARTe: Information for anyone involved in land reuse planning and revitalization efforts.
Grant Successes in Hawaii
the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant.
Region 9's Brownfields Program works to clean up and redevelop potentially contaminated lands in the Pacific Southwest region, making it easier for such lands to become vital, functioning parts of their communities. The material below describes Brownfields activities within Region 9's states, tribes, and territories. EPA's national Brownfields and Land Revitalization site provides information on applying for Brownfields grants, recent legislation, news, and more.
2012 Workforce Development Grant Winners Announced
- Cypress Mandela Training Center, Inc., Oakland, CA
- Los Angeles Conservation Corps, CA
- The Hunters Point Family, San Francisco, CA
- Nye County, NV
I-710 Corridor Initiative
Progress Toward Abandoned Gas Station Cleanup
Brownfields Grantee Successes »
The following are examples of successful projects that were supported by EPA grant funding.
- Anaheim Vineyard Project (PDF)
(2 pp, 410K)
- Assessment in Hawaii (PDF)
(2 pp, 466K)
- Assessment and RLF in Anaheim (PDF)
(2 pp, 301K)
- East Palo Alto, Cooley Landing Cleanup
- Flagstaff (PDF) (2 pp, 410K)
- Kapolei (PDF) (2 pp, 410K)
- National City
- Oakland Affordable Housing
- Reno-Sparks Indian Colony
- Visalia (PDF) (2 pp, 410K)
- West Fresno
- California RLF Loan in San Francisco, Townsend (PDF)
(2 pp, 174K)
- California RLF Loan in San Francisco, 3rd Street (PDF) (2 pp, 227K)
- RLF in National City (PDF) (2 pp, 256K)
- Cleanup in Oakland at 84th Ave. (PDF) (2 pp, 189K)
- Cleanup in Oakland at Edes Ave. (PDF) (3 pp, 444K)
- Cleanup in Tulare (PDF)
(3 pp, 427K)
- Workforce Development in Richmond (PDF) (2 pp, 368K)
(4 pp, 395K)
Featured Projects »
Oakland Affordable Housing
In California, the Oakland Housing Authority (OHA) used $200,000 in Recovery Act funds to clean up a 1.5 acre industrial site for redevelopment of affordable housing in the final phase of an ongoing community project. In the past, OHA partnered with a local affordable housing non-profit, the East Bay Asian Local Development Corporation and a developer, the Related Companies, to clean up and transform the site into Lion Creek Crossings, which includes 367 units of mixed income housing, a park with a restored creek and wetland, and space for several non-profits including Head Start, a Boys & Girls Club, a computer lab, and a financial literacy center.
Reno-Sparks Indian Colony
Programs & Resources
- Brownfields Grants and Assistance
Includes grant proposal guidelines for assessment, cleanup, revolving loan fund, job training, Targeted Brownfields Assessments, and technical assistance
- Brownfields State and Tribal Response Programs
- State Brownfields Programs in the Pacific Southwest
Arizona | California | Hawai'i | Nevada | CNMI | American Samoa
Outreach & Contacts
- CERCLA Liability and Local Government Acquisitions
Factsheet for local governments concerned about incurring potential CERCLA liability as part of redevelopment.
- Targeted Brownfields Assessment brochure and online application
- Region 9 Brownfields Federal Partnership Resource Guide (PDF) (44 pp, 435K)
A handbook which describes the types of technical and financial assistance related to Brownfields activities available from federal departments and agencies, as well as contact information for each agency.
- SMARTe Information for anyone involved in land reuse planning and revitalization efforts.
- Grant Preparation Assistance TAB EZ is a grant writing tool to be used for preparation of EPA brownfields grant proposals. Currently, TAB EZ only addresses assessment and cleanup grants.
- Revitalizing Communities (PDF) (2 pp, 129K)
Information about Region 9's Brownfields Program
- A Guide to Federal Tax Incentives for Brownfields Redevelopment (PDF) (28pp, 2.5M) The attached guide provides an overview of the key federal tax incentives and credits that can be leveraged for brownfields cleanup, redevelopment and reuse.
|Pacific Southwest NewsroomPacific Southwest Programs||Grants & FundingUS-Mexico Border||Media CenterCareers||About EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest)A-Z Index|