Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Pacific Southwest

Pacific Southwest, Region 9

Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations

Region 9's Special Hiring Programs

USAJobs is the official jobsite of the United States Federal Government On this page:

Student Career Experience Program (SCEP)

Planned and progressive educational program that provides on-the-job training to students in occupations related to their fields of study (e.g., engineering, physical/biological sciences, accounting, etc.). Students apply what they have learned in classroom theory to real-life work situations, thereby gaining valuable experience for future employment. Must be enrolled at least half-time while pursuing a diploma or degree.

Student Temporary Employment Program

Provides financial assistance to students to encourage and support their educational goals. Work ranges from general clerical (requiring applicants to type at least 40 words per minute) to varying degrees of environmental support. Must be enrolled at least half-time.

Student Volunteer Program

Provides opportunities for students to explore career options related to their fields of study as well as develop personal and professional skills. Students may receive college credit for related work experience (contact your academic institution for more information). Must be enrolled at least half-time.

Employment of People with Disabilities (Schedule A and B)

The Federal Government recognizes that people with disabilities have a right to full and fair consideration for any job for which they apply. It strives to offer an environment in which all can reach their highest potential and make a difference for our country. Federal positions are filled by people with disabilities, as well as able bodied persons.

Federal hiring officials are authorized to use special hiring authorities when considering certain people with disabilities (those who have a severe physical, cognitive or emotional disability or a history of having such disabilities or are perceived as having such disabilities). These authorities provide a unique opportunity to demonstrate the potential to successfully perform the essential duties of a position, with and without, workplace reasonable accommodation. If you are interested in being considered under these special hiring authorities, you must contact a state vocational counselor and request their assistance. They will review and prepare the necessary documents. You should ask them to provide you with a "certification" statement that describes your ability to perform the essential duties of the position in which you are interested. Then, once you have obtained this certification statement, you should fax or mail a copy to the Human Resources Office when applying for consideration under this authority.

Veterans Readjustment Act

Special authority under which agencies can appoint eligible veterans up through the GS-11 level without competition. You must have served on active duty for a period of more than 180 days which occurred after August 4, 1964, and received other than a dishonorable discharge. Active duty is full-time duty in the Armed Forces, other than active duty for training. Active duty service of more than 180 days is not required if you were discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability. Under this authority, veterans must be appointed within 10 years of discharge. Eligible veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more have no time limit.

30% or More Disabled Veterans

Special authority to appoint veterans who have service-connected disabilities of 30% or more. Disabilities must be officially documented by the Department of Defense (DOD) or the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). You must forward a copy of a letter dated within the last 12 months from DOD or VA certifying receipt of compensation for a service-connected disability of 30% or more.

Peace Corps/VISTA

Special authority to appoint individuals having served satisfactorily as Peace Corps or VISTA volunteers within one year of completing the qualifying service (may be extended up to three years if the individual immediately enters the military service or pursued a higher level degree). You must forward a statement from Peace Corps/VISTA certifying your eligibility for non-competitive appointment under this authority.

Top of page

Jump to main content.