Jump to main content.

Merchandising: Products/Packaging
Compliance Resources

Sales of Products

Sales of Products: A variety of laws and regulations concerning the domestic use and sale of imported products may apply.

You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.

  • Asbestos in Products
  • Architectural Coatings: Manufacturers and importers of archectural coatings must comply with the Archtectural Coatings-Section 183(e) VOC Rules reuqirements.
  • Automobile Refinish Coatings: Manufacturers or importers of automobile refinish coatings or coating components that are manufactured for sale or distribution in the U.S., including all U.S. territories must comply with the National Volatile Organic Compound Emission Standards for Automobile Refinish Coatings.
  • Chemicals
  • Children’s Products:
  • Consumer Products-Section 183(e) VOC Rules (e.g., air fresheners, cooking sprays, floor polishes/waxes, nail polish removers, etc)
    • Initial Notification Report Form (PDF): (2 pp, 9K)The distributor that is named on the product label, or if no distributor is named on the label, the manufacturer or importer, shall submit a one-time Initial Notification Report.
  • Fuels and Fuel Additives
    • Fuels and Fuel Additives Reporting Forms: A variety of EPA Fuels Programs require submission of forms by manufacturers and importers of gasoline, diesel fuel (including biodiesel) and fuel additives.
      • Gasoline Dispensing (2 pp, 125K): You may need to determine the leak rate and cracking pressure of pressure-vacuum vent valves installed on gasoline storage tanks. You may also need to conduct a static pressure test on your gasoline storage tanks.
      • Petroleum Products – Underground Storage Tank (UST) regulations apply to underground storage tanks and piping storing petroleum.
      • E15 (a blend of gasoline and ethanol): EPA granted a waiver request application allowing fuel and fuel additive manufacturers to introduce into commerce gasoline that contains greater than 10 volume percent (vol%) ethanol and up to 15 vol% ethanol (E15) for use in certain motor vehicles once certain other conditions are fulfilled.
  • Insect Repellents: Before they can be marketed, most insect repellents must be registered by EPA. Repellents that do not bear an EPA registration number have not been evaluated by EPA, and EPA cannot advise consumers about the effectiveness of these products.
  • Lithium Batteries: The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) are alerting shippers and carriers to the importance of transporting lithium batteries safely.
  • Mini Trucks (PDF): (16 pp, 358K) EPA requires certification of converted engines and vehicles for products imported on or after December 8, 2008.
  • Pesticides
    • Pesticide Container Repair Interim Policy (PDF): (4 pp, 88K) On October 9, 2009, EPA issued an interim policy establishing a process by which pesticide retailers and distributors can, under certain circumstances, repair minor damage to pesticide containers. The interim policy has very specific requirements, including an application and review process to ensure the integrity of the label, the product, and the container of the repaired products.
    • Illegal Pesticide Products
  • Plumbing Products
  • Portable Fuel Containers:Exit EPA DisclaimerEPA has established standards that limit hydrocarbon emissions that evaporate from or permeate through portable fuel containers.
  • Pre-Charged Appliances: The sale or distribution of air-conditioning and refrigeration appliances containing HCFC-22, HCFC-142b, or blends containing one or both of these substances, is banned beginning January 1, 2010. These prohibitions apply only to appliances and components manufactured on or after January 1, 2010. This final rule is effective on January 1, 2010.
  • Products Containing or Manufactured with Ozone Depleting Substances [e.g., aerosols, plastic foam products; fire extinguishers]: EPA bans the sale, distribution, and offer of sale of a number of products containing or manufactured with CFCs or HCFCs.
    • Labeling: importers of products either containing or made with ozone-depleting substances must ensure they are properly labeled.
  • Products containing volatile organic compounds [e.g., primers and under-coatings, quick dry enamels, non-flat interior and exterior paints, air fresheners, bathroom tile cleaners, floor polishes, hair sprays, nail polish remover].
  • Refrigerant Sales and Distribution: sales of all CFC and HCFC refrigerants in bulk containers are restricted to Section 608 certified technicians, their employers and manufacturers of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment.
  • Small non-road EnginesExit EPA Disclaimer
  • Vehicles

Top of page


Local Navigation

Jump to main content.