2010 WIPP Recertification Decision
On November 18, 2010, EPA officially recertified that the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE's) Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) continues to comply with the waste disposal regulations at 40 CFR Part 191, Subparts B and C and WIPP Compliance Criteria at 40 CFR Part 194.
In the WIPP Land Withdrawal Act, Congress required EPA to “recertify” the facility every five years following the initial receipt of transuranic (TRU) waste until the end of its operational activities. WIPP first received TRU waste on March 26, 1999, and this action represents the second of EPA’s periodic evaluations of the facility's continued compliance. DOE's first recertification application was received on March 26, 2004, and EPA's first recertification decision was issued on March 29, 2006.
On this page:
- How does recertification affect the operation of WIPP?
- What is the basis for EPA's recertification decision?
- Technical Support Documents
- EPA Fact Sheets About the Recertification
- How can I obtain WIPP publications not offered on-line?
How does recertification affect the operation of WIPP?
Recertification is a process that evaluates changes at WIPP, to determine whether the facility continues to meet all the requirements of EPA’s disposal regulations. The recertification process helps ensure WIPP's continued compliance based on the most accurate, up-to-date information available. Recertification does not mean that the decision to open WIPP is being reconsidered.
What is the basis for EPA's recertification decision?
EPA based its recertification decision on a thorough review of information submitted by DOE, independent technical analyses, and public comments. All of the documents related to the Agency's recertification decision are available through the EPA WIPP Docket. All recertification-related documents are also available in electronic format below:
(We recommend that you read these documents in the order they are listed. The level of detail and complexity increases as you go down the list.)
- Federal Register notice announcing the decision (PDF) (46 pp, 127K)
- Compliance application review documents (CARDs)
- Technical support documents (TSDs)
- Fact sheets about the recertification decision
- DOE's Recertification Application
Compliance Application Review Documents
Technical Support Documents
Recertification-related Outreach Materials
- 2010 Recertification, DOE Fact Sheet No. 1 -- Compliance Recertification Application 2009 (PDF) (2 pp, 190K) (06/09)
- 2010 Recertification, DOE Fact Sheet No. 2 -- Hydrogeology (PDF) (2 pp, 109K) (06/09)
- 2010 Recertification, DOE Fact Sheet No. 3 -- Inventory (PDF) (2 pg, 86K) (06/09)
- 2010 Recertification, DOE Fact Sheet No. 4 -- Magnesium Oxide (PDF) (2 pp, 51K) (06/09)
- 2010 Recertification, DOE Fact Sheet No. 5 -- Performance Assessment (PDF) (2 pp, 89K) (06/09)
- 2010 Recertification, DOE Fact Sheet No. 6 -- Site Certification (PDF) (2 pp, 75K) (06/09)
- Regulating the Safety of WIPP (PDF) (5 pp, 642K) (May '02)
- Final Certification Decision for the WIPP (PDF) (3 pp, 41K) (May '98)
- EPA's Continuing Regulation of the WIPP (PDF) (2 pp, 39K) (May '98)
How can I obtain WIPP publications not offered on-line?
- Request hard copies of any of the publications listed by contacting us.
- You can find Federal Register notices and other documents relating to the legal aspects of EPA's certification and recertification decisions on the WIPP Compliance Certification and Recertification Decisions Documents page and in the Dockets.