Standards and Risk Management
The Environmental Protection Agency sets standards that, when combined with protecting ground water and surface water, are a critical to ensuring safe drinking water. EPA works with its regional offices, states, tribes and its many partners to protect public health through implementing the Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Current Drinking Water Regulations: Provides information on regulations on contaminants EPA regulates in drinking water.
- Regulations under Development: Focuses on the current regulatory status of certain contaminants and public water system operations.
- Other Actions: describes other activities EPA has taken in response to the 1996 Amendments to the Safe Drinking Water Act.
- Basic Information about Drinking Water Contaminants: provides definitions of National Primary and Secondary Drinking Water Regulations and fact sheets on the contaminants EPA regulates in drinking water.
- Regulating Contaminants in Drinking Water: Describes how EPA decides which contaminants to regulate, how drinking water standards are set, and when to revise existing regulations.
- About the Standards and Risk Management Division