Small Entities and Rulemaking
|Small Entities and Rulemaking Quick Finder||A-Z Index|
|Guidance for EPA Rulewriters (PDF) (105 pp, 1MB, About PDF) Small Business Definition - Size Standards||Small Government Definition Small Organization Definition|
The Regulatory Flexibility Act (RFA), as amended by the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (SBREFA) -- which is commonly referred to simply as the RFA -- provides small entities with an expanded opportunity to participate in the development of certain regulations. The RFA defines "small entity" as a small business, small organization, or small governmental jurisdiction. Use the resources on this website to learn more about how EPA involves small entities in rulemakings that are likely to impact them.
- Drinking Water Regulatory Actions for Perchlorate
- Financial Responsibility Requirements for Hard Rock Mining
- Lead; Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program for the Exterior of Public and Commercial Buildings
- Petroleum Refinery Sector Risk and Technology Review and New Source Performance Standards
- Review of New Source Performance Standards and Amendments to Emission Guidelines for Municipal Solid Waste Landfills
- PCB Use Authorizations Update Rule
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for Area Source Boilers: National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants for Area Sources: Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional Boilers, August 2011 (PDF) (51 pp, 379K, About PDF)
- Small Entity Compliance Guide to Renovate Right: EPA's Lead-Based Paint Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program, September 2010 (PDF) (32pp, 411K, About PDF)
- Small Entity Compliance Guide for "Changes to Renewable Fuel Standard Program (RFS2)," June 2010 (PDF) (39 pp, 649K, About PDF)
|Office of Policy Office of Regulatory Policy and Management||Related Links A-Z Index|
Top Three Questions
- What is a Small Business Advocacy Review Panel?
- What is a Small Entity Representative (SER)?
- Who is eligible to be a SER?
Additional Resources for the RFA
This website offers information to small businesses, governments, and not-for-profits relating to rules that EPA is currently developing (otherwise known as rulemakings). Specifically, it focuses on Small Business Advocacy Reviews Panels and Small Entity Compliance Guides.
Other EPA resources for small businesses are:
Other EPA resources for small governments are: