General SmartWay Frequently Asked Questions
EPA maintains answers to frequent questions about many topics in searchable databases; in addition, many individual offices and programs maintain Frequent Questions Web pages.
Frequently Asked Questions about the SmartWay Transport Partnership
Click on the questions below to see detailed answers.
- What is the SmartWay Transport Partnership?
The SmartWay Transport Partnership is an innovative collaboration between EPA and the freight industry. This voluntary partnership program uses strong market-based incentives to challenge companies to improve the environmental performance of their freight operations. Through their collaboration with EPA, SmartWay Transport partners improve their energy efficiency, save money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and improve air quality.
- Why is the SmartWay Transport Partnership important?
The US economy relies on shipping goods. However, these freight shipments have an environmental cost. Freight trucks and locomotives consume 35 billion gallons of diesel fuel each year, and burning this fuel produces over 350 million metric tons of carbon dioxide.
- What are the goals of the SmartWay Transport Partnership?
- The goals of the Partnership are to reduce:
- Fuel consumption from trucks and rail delivering freight;
- Operating costs associated with the delivery of freight;
- Emissions of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas; and
- NOx emissions and particulate matter, and air toxics that adversely affect air quality and contribute to health problems, especially in densely populated urban areas.
- What is the ground freight industry's contribution to air pollution?
Ground freight is a significant source of emissions that cause smog and other harmful air pollutants. These emissions also contribute to health concerns, especially among the young and the elderly.
- What kinds of companies can join the SmartWay Transport Partnership?
Currently, there are five categories of SmartWay partners. They are:
- Freight Shippers
- Logistics Companies
- Truck Carriers
- Rail Carriers
- Truck Stops
If your company does not fall under these categories, there may be other ways for your to participate in SmartWay. Other opportunities to participate in SmartWay include
- Promoting SmartWay to your association or members as a SmartWay Affiliate;
- Spreading the word about SmartWay by joining the SmartWay Community;
- Becoming an EPA-certified SmartWay Tractor or Trailer Dealer;
- Getting your components verified for use on EPA-certified SmartWay Tractors and Trailers; and,
- Learning how to establish a SmartWay Sister program in your country.
- What steps are involved in joining the SmartWay Transport Partnership?
Joining the Partnership is easy, and you can get started now with the participation resources below. Or, if you would like more information, you can call us at (734) 214-4767 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply go to your partner page (shippers, carriers, or affiliates/other allies), look for your company category, and download and complete the partnership agreement and model. Then e-mail them both to EPA at email@example.com.
- How can I use the SmartWay logo?
Partners in good standing in the program can use the logo in selected marketing and communication materials. To learn more, please review the SmartWay Graphics Standards and Usage Guide (PDF).
- Can I put the SmartWay logo on my equipment?
If you are interested in applying the logo to your tractor or trailer, you must follow the guidelines provided on the EPA-designated SmartWay Tractors or Trailers pages. Certain restrictions apply.
- Will we get a certificate for joining the SmartWay Transport Partnership?
- SmartWay no longer distributes SmartWay Certificates to new partners. In addition, older partners should no longer use certificates as official documentation of their SmartWay partner status. The official list of SmartWay partners is posted on the SmartWay web site; customers and other interested parties should visit this web site to verify a company’s status as a SmartWay partner.